Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lost Key!!!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by csgup1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. hi

seems that i have lost my key to a gsxr 600 k2.

just wondering whats the best way to go about fixing this issue. and how much it will set me back...

any help will be greatly appreciated!
    cheers!

2. Aaah, haven't you done a good enough job already? ;-)

In case you meant, "How do I get a replacement key?" you should be able to get one cut by number at a good locksmith. You do have the number? It's with the spare key, is it?

All the best

Trevor G

PS I am not sure that there is a key number visible anywhere on your lock.

Locksmiths can cut keys by number, they quoted $25 to $45 on several keys I have asked about.

Remove the lock and see if it has a number, otherwise you are up for a new lock.

3. Bit of useless post Trev :roll:

4. - post duplicated while server was not responding...

Trevor G

5. Sorry you're disappointed, Dougz.

Lost keys can be a real problem if you haven't:

1) Cut a spare already

2) Recorded the number.

Have you got any other ideas? Have you got yours in safe keeping?

Cheers

Trevor G

6. Ok, I have first hand experience here :oops:

ring your local bike shop for your brand of bike, in my case it was staffords yamaha, give them your bikes ID number, should be on the frame somewhere. They can then search their database and get your key number. Ring a locksmith, give them the key number, they then ring your bike suppliers head office and get all the relevant info for your key.
    Cost me $85 for the first key and $7 for a spare. Could have been a bit cheaper if I wasn't in such a rush cos he had the keys couriered out to him.
    And, as always, murphy's law kicks in, as soon as I had the new key, I found the old one :roll:

7. If you can find a half decent locksmith that knows what they're doing,
    they can use a blank key and your lock barrel to make you a new one.

I had to do this a few years back in the city when i was stranded.
    It took him just on half an hour to make a fully functioning key, damn impressive.

Get on the blower and ring around until you can find someone who can do it.
    If you need to borrow a tech set to get your barrel out i can lend you mine.

8. cheers fellas!

bikes up at the spur atm .

i looked underneath the barrel and it looks like you need a special tool to get it out . do you have this schef ??

9. Yeah mate, that's the one. Still got my number?

10. Key

If you can get the helmet lock off, take that to the locksmith, & they should be able to cut a key to suit that.

11. Are you sure the key number is not in the owners manual.
    It will have to have been written in by the first owner but its one of the first things I did.

12. yea mate . i think so.

ill give you a call later on in the evening. got a few things to run through first!

thanks !

13. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :rofl: :bolt:

14. It wasn't funny at the time, but I do get a chuckle out of it now.

What had happened was....
    I organised to go riding one weekday with Cejay, not wanting to be late I got ready the night before, had everything organised, packed my tank bag with all my stuff, filled my water bottle etc etc.
    In the morning, I took the tank bag and fitted it to my bike, went back inside to get the key to warm up the beast while I put my jacket on.
    Doh, no key... anywhere.
    Searched frantic for an hour, went right through all the pockets on my tank bag, jacket, everywhere.
    Almost in tears with frustration, I ring Cejay and cancell the ride. Continue searching for a few hours, with no success. Organised a new key, went to pick it up in my car at about 4pm, got home, a bit lighter in the wallet but happy to be able to ride again. Hopped on the bike, stuck the key in the barrell to test if it fitted, yep all was good, time to go for a blast, hang on a minute, this tank bag looks wonky.... straightened it up, in the process noticed a lumpy bit, doh, the magnet had picked up the keys from the table in the morning and it was stuck between the tank and the bag.
    Anyway, turns out it was for the best, cos a few weeks later I was at Rosies, we went swimming, and I lost my keys in the sand, so it was lucky I had a spare in my jacket breast pocket. Now I have two spares , one in each of my jacket pockets, and one I use all the time. :)