Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lost Key - VTR250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 123 321, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Can’t believe I might have done this already but there is a distinct possibility that I have lost my only key (although I’m going back home tonight to turn the place upside down…again).

I did a search and there seems to be a bit of confusion on what’s the best way to get a new key, some say ring Honda (anyone have a good contact number) but there is a key number that I need. Is the VIN enough or is there something else that can be found on a 2004 VTR250? Also I rang my local Honda (Ringwood) and they simply told me I would need to replace all the locks, setting me back nearly $300 plus the cost of getting the bike to the dealership, surely there is a cheaper alternative?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. A locksmith should be able to make a new key based on your lock but then you have to live with the possibility that someone else might be holding on to that other key...
  3. Hmmm, I've been through this before :oops:

I rang my local yamaha dealer, who inturn logged onto the yamaha dealer network, entered my Vin number in and bingo, a key number was retrieved. (Although I was happy at the time I didn't have to run around, it later dawned on me, anyone could write down my VIN number, ring a dealer, and get the key number. So after I had all my details I contacted Yamaha Australia and expressed my concern about a lack of security. They have since changed the policy, and dealers must sight proof of ownership and ID, prior to obtaining the key number.)

Once I had the key number, a locksmith was able to cut me a key, for a modest price of $85 for one key and $7 for each additional key thereafter.

Murphy's law at work again, rushed home from the locksmith, key in hand, checked it was the right key, started the bike up, beauty....
    gee, that tank bag looks crooked, straighten it up, nope, still not right, oops, whats this attatched to the magnets between the tank and the bag.... of course, the missing key. :roll:
  4. thanks for the help guys. i'm thinking the locksmith might be the way to go, because i wouldnt think the honda dealership would tell me to replace everything if i could simply tell them VIN.

yeah i'm not to worried about someone else having my key because i pretty sure it is lost in my house somewhere, plus my bike is kept in a locked garage and i'm moving soon so pretty confident about the bikes security.

guess its a bit of a catch 22, how easy do you want it to be for you to get a new key if you loose yours and how easy do you want it to be for someone else to get a key to your bike.
  5. go a lcok smith 30$ get u a new key cut.
    just gota take of your ignnitiotn
  6. I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT! :grin: :grin: :grin:

thanks for all the tips guys, i also spoke to honda head office and they advised me another option other than those mentioned by you guys was you can get a blank key from your honda dealer then give that to a locksmith then get them to match that to your locks rather than starting from stratch. just incase anyone else comes across this problem.

anyway i'm off to the locksmith to get some copies made!
  7. a good tip for copies of your key, is to have them engrave a number plate on them. Not yours. Or have them cut on a blank key with a different manufactures tag.

Most crims arent capable of complex thoughts, and those that are, are not going to be too concerned whether they have the key or not.