Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lost bike keys - where to get cut in Sydney?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Voz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Hi,

I gave my son a 1998 Yamaha Majesty 250 scooter and he has lost all keys.

Any idea on who to go to to have a new key made up?

It does not have an immobilizer and we do not have the original key number so can not get from Yamaha.

Ideally a locksmith somewhere in Sydney that someone knows and is cheap.

I will have the scoot in the back of my van so can take anywhere or I might pull the ignition if I can figure that out.

2. Someone on here recently mentioned that the bolts holding the ignition in place, probably have the heads sheared off to make it damn hard to get them out again - before you go skinning your knuckles it couldn't hurt to check this out...
    Can't help with a locksmith sorry, but (thinking outside the square...) maybe your local auto-electrician might recommend one?
  3. Yes, I heard about the shear off possibility. Until I go over and look at it I won't know, was going to load it up into my van and take it somewhere a yet unknown.

If anyone has a recommended locksmith in Sydney, please let me know.
  4. I had the local locksmith in Bondi cut me one when I lost mine down there about 10 years ago, can't recommend a locksmith though any should be able to make you one.

Maybe stating the obvious, but have the key made from the ignition rather than the seat compartment or fuel cap as the ignition usually has more pins and ramps (whatever they are called?).
  5. Am going to try to get it into my van tonite or in the morning. Locksmith in Alexandria is quoting $120-$150 if I bring the scoot to them and leave for a few hours, so I guess that is currently my best option.