Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Loss of traction

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kraven, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Had a bit of a moment early this afternoon in the wet, I was taking off a little quicker than i usually would from the lights when it's wet and the back wheel lost traction and kicked out sideways and having only ever ridden a 250 i have never really experienced traction loss this bad before.

Now when this happened I immediately closed the throttle until it had corrected (No brakes were used) and then kept going, was this the right thing to do or should i have just kept the throttle slightly open?

What is the right way to deal with loss of traction at take off or at speed?

2. give it full revs and do some sweet fishtails, closed the throttle what were you thinking :shock: :p

only time i lose traction is when i down gear on wet roads and slide for a foot or so, always reinforces the fact that downgearing while not being on any lean angle is a good idea :)
  3. If you don't really have any forward momentum yet then i could just say close the throttle. However if you were moving, then i would just roll off the throttle SLIGHTLY and try riding it out. Completely rolling off the throttle could induce a high side due to the sudden grip that could result from closing it off completely.

It has happened to me once before in the dry while coming around a round-a-bout. I power on just asa the back wheel was passing over some sand and still slightly lent over. I just rolled off the throttle SLIGHTLY, kept things smooth, transfered alittle more weight over to the sliding side and rode through it. It feels awesome when you get alittle bit of rear slide going.

This is where alittle bit of trail riding experience would significantly help your confidence/technique and help you remain calm when the rear lets go under power.
  4. Just thinking while typing here, but wouldn't close the throttle and pull in the clutch be the way to go?
  5. Depends on the situation. If you were sitting upright and just taking off from the traffic lights then yes. However if you were moving along and cornering slightly then No as it may cause a high side.
  6. On a 250 inline 4, the result of snapping shut the throttle won't be noticeable due to the almost non-existant engine braking. Try the same on a 1000cc vtwin and you probably would've high sided. Best course of action is usually to roll off a little and see if it corrects then reapply the power. Or you can just keep it sliding Gary McCoy style!
    Besides your right wrist, your legs are actually your best tool for controlling slides. By weighting the pegs you can get it to move in the direction you wish.
  7. Happens a lot more often when you move up to more powerful bikes.

A rear slide under power isn't all that much to worry about - refer previous trail-riding comments. If you're leaned over in a corner they can be pretty hairy, but in a straight line don't sweat it, just relax and go with the flow.

Roll veeeeeery gently off the throttle to get your traction back without throwing all your weight forward and riding off like a bucked rodeo clown.

Don't snap the throttle off, don't pull the clutch.
  8. :grin: I know, If i had enough money to waste fixing my bike i'd be out there right now trying it again :LOL: .

I was about quater the way through the intersection when the rear wheel moved over so i had already taken off.
  9. I thought the main reason the high side occured if you closed the throttle was due to the wheel not receiving the power that caused it to spin up, therefore causing it to stop spinning and grip. If the bike has sideway motion or your cranked over then this causes the bike to try and rapidly "sit up" which gives you the bucking/throwing motion of a highside.

Would engine braking only accentuate or make it more violent, rather then prevent it from happening at all??
  10. :LOL: i do it on gravel, sand or grass all the time when i can. Like if entering the road from a driveway or carpark if there's gravel (aslong as it under the rear wheel only and not the front), when leaving a mates front yard or when mocing my bike around the bike yard it's slideways all over the yard :grin:
  11. On wet days in the city, most wheelspin is caused by crappy white painted stripes, slippery steel manhole covers, grates or steel patches on the road, and car-dumped oil slicks.

Watch out for those and you'll be fine on a 2fiddly.
  12. That's exactly what I said. On a bike with larger capacity and stronger engine braking, the result of snapping the throttle will be much more uncontrolable. If I kick my VTR down a gear and snap the throttle shut into corners it actually locks the rear wheel and skids. It's just as effective as the rear brake. Try this on a CBR250 and it's likely to have little to no effect at all. Do it on a 2 stroke and it'll have basically no effect.
    Ditto the effect of opening the throttle is less uncontrolable. It may just spin up a little more and fish tail, where as try it on a R1 and you'll find yourself low siding and sliding along the road.
    All comes down to smooth throttle operation and using your hips and legs to control the slide.
  13. n00b question...

what is high siding?
  14. Getting thrown off the high side of the bike. You know when you see the MotoGP and one of the guys bikes suddenly bucks sideways and they do an acrobatic forward flip exit from the bike?? Well my friend that is a high side.
  15. Yep the Dark Side (cue Darth Vader). Low side is bad, high side is worse.

I agree with the above, dirt squirting experience is really useful for power sliding! In a straight line just load up the peg and back off slowly or...

Keep the power on, weight the peg, grip with the knees and head off down the road sideways :woot: or not... I do it on my dirt bikes but not too much on the roadie. Too much damage potential esp someone running you over if you come off!