Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Losing power between 8k and 10k...? gs500f

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Noticibly F.A.T, Oct 11, 2008.

1. I'm losing power occasionally between 8k and 10k rpm. Redline is 11k. I tested it in first today and it didn't do anything abnormal. But in second and third and fourth once it gets to 8,000 rpm, or sometimes 8,500 rpm it loses power, and almost can't keep the same speed, and get very jerky.

It revs up fine in neutral, no problems there.

Any idea what it is? Anything i can check myself?

2. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, it's running low on fuel in the carb bowls.
    I would check over teh fuel lines and any filters you have. Check teh fuel tap too if it's a vacuum tap.
    As it's not an issue at any other time, I think the tank vent is not an issue here.
    Unlikely to be ignition either.

Regards, Andrew.

3. I agree with andrew, it's struggling to get the fuel through at higher revs somewhere.

4. Cheers guys. You don't think its a carby issue?

5. I agree with the others, most likely not getting enough fuel. (Yes, its a carby issue, they don't have enough fuel in them!). By the way, I've got a GS too.
    First, try putting the fuel tap on 'prime'. That will draw fuel from the reserve line, and if it fixes the problem then you have a blockage between the tank and the fuel tap, most likely the strainer in the tank or shit in the fuel line. If you work through the fuel system cleaning and checking flow I think it'll be an easy fix.
    If its an early model it may be problem with the vacuum tap, which is also bypassed if you use 'prime'.
    There's lots of info on how to fix it on <gstwins.com/gsboard/> just do a search.
    Good luck!

6. Thanks mole :) I'll try that :)

7. Say you use UNLEAD.

and not UNLEAD with E10

8. ???

We don't have E10 out where i live....