Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lose steering damper?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by snuff3r, Oct 7, 2012.

1. #1 snuff3r, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    About halfway through my last major ride I noticed the bike was feeling a little funny. As I tipped into turns the bike felt like it wanted to go in the other direction and the steering system was really really loose. I spoke to triumph and they tell me my head stem might be loose and needs tightening.

I noticed this morning that the damper had quite a bit of movement in it. Is this normal: [media=youtube]GeNJf9pTDQk[/media] ?

Bike is a 2011 triumph Daytona.

2. They aren't tight...but that one is a little loosey goosey haha. Just needs a new bush in the end

3. Think it could be what's causing it to feel off?

4. 2011, Wouldn't it be covered by warranty?

I would give it to them, and let them deal with it.

5. Damper wouldnt make it feel like it 'wanted to go in the other direction' unless it was actively fighting you, rather than helping to smooth out the steering.
    If its under warranty get it checked for warranty, but id be getting it looked at all the same. As above wont hurt any to replace the bush for the damper all the same.

6. Also check the mounting bolts for the damper bracket. I think they were known to come loose on the bike's unless they've changed the design.

Al.

7. Thanks for the reminder all. Im going to take it back to triumph. Warranty. I can't pin it , maybe they can.

8. You're better off to keep it.

9. thats normal play