Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Loosing tyre pressure

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by slim, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,
    I ride a honda Transalp 650.
    It has a very slim front tyre,(90/90-21). It looses about 2 to 3 pounds of pressure per week. I have tried 2 new heavy duty tubes with the same result. The back tyre is much larger, and only needs toping up about once a month. Is this normal, or do I / have I, a slow leak. Can anyone recomend the the best make tube. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this post.

2. different tubes? and still losing PSI?

check that there is nothing on the inside of your tyre that is rubbing a small hole in your tube, other than that.....stop doing jumps!
  3. Thanks for the quick reply Joel, I'v had the bike since new, april 2006. It lost psi from the day I got it. 1 month later, I had a flat tyre, had it fixed. (very fine nail more like a stapel ) Kept loosing pressure, put 2 new tubes in. still loosing psi, checked both tubes under water. no signs of leak. checked tyres by sight and feel ,found nothing. asked Honda dealer, they said its normal to loose psi. Im rather old, last rode 35 years ago, at that age I never had the sense to check psi, and never had a problem! . if its not normal, Im prepered to put a new tyre on. At my age the only thing I jump is my dear sweet wife!
    I got the transalp for the riding position, its easy on my old back :LOL:
  4. Is it a spoked wheel? I hate spoked wheels, for this reason. The spokes can wear through the tubes if not protected properly.
    Also, who put teh tyres/tubes in, the same person? Doesn't take much to nick teh tube when bending a tyre onto a rim.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Well you've eliminated all the other variables; it has to be a slow leak through the valve. Even testing under water won't always show up a really slow leak...
  6. thanks for the response guys,
    Andrew, yes its a spoked wheel. I checked the condition and placement of the protective strip on the spoke heads each time. Bike workshop fitted 1st tube, I put the last two in (very carefully) :LOL:

Paul, I have changed valves twice,still the same. I think I'v done all I can with this tyre. I would really like an opinion on the statement from honda that because its a small capasity tube, its normal to have to top up psi one or two times a week. If thats right I'l live with it, if you all think its wrong, I'l try a new tyre.
    Thanks again everyone, your a good bunch of people.
  7. I think It's wrong. You expect a little bit of seepage, after all rubber is porous, but 2 or 3 psi per week sounds excessive.
  8. When you fit the valves, put a little soapy water on the threads and sealing ring. It allows a bit more torque on teh valve when tightening it, and helps seat the seal a bit better.
    Otherwise, I'm buggered if I know!

Regards, Andrew.
  9. I'l try that Andrew, thanks.