Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Loosing power

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by jamisiah, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Hi all, i recently bought '01 R1 & its seems that on occasion i loose power when it hits 6000 revs ( 1st gear ).
    I use caltex premium & noticed on occasion this happens but when i use BP ultimate (98)it seems to be ok. Is it my fuel, fuel/air mixture incorrect, air filter, spark plug, battery?

2. Please to meet you as well. :roll:
  3. i think i found the answer in the

Technical and Troubleshooting Torque forum....

dodgy fuel used by servos.....
  4. Slipping clutch?
  5. Jamisiah

Maybe you've just got a dodgy R1
  6. ok... ok i will take my bike to the mechanic.. it became more noticeable today not just the first but i think the 2nd gear as well. It doesn't happen all the time but a couple of occasions.
    Maybe Grey is right.
  7. More likely a jetting problem.
    It will NOT be clutch. Clutch slip happens at low revs when the most load is on the clutch. Once the engine and flywheel has gained momentum it becomes less and less likely for the clutch to slip.

An 01 R1 will be carburetter if I remember correctly so chances are the jetting isn't set right.
  8. Yep sounds like the most likely problem, I got a carburetter bike now aswell.

I think my next one will be fuel injected, less hassles, consistent performance and lower maintaince.
  9. Ah but you can fix a carbie when it does go wrong. If the efi unit dies you have to buy a new one. There ain't no fixing it. You reckon they come cheap? :wink:
  10. When you compare the prices of a decent set of flatslides and a complete EFI setup there's actually a lot more reasons ($$$) for going EFI! I was tinkering with the idea of a complete custom EFI setup on my '92 Yamaha and it worked out about $300-500 cheaper than a highend carb setup.
  11. thank you all for the great advices...this forum is really cool