Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Loose gravel, not cool

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Zerby, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Going up Mt Nebo this afternoon on my first ride on the twisties and I was just getting my rhythm when on a pretty tight left hander I see a dark spot on the road. Right at that second the rear wheel looses traction for a split second but I guess it didn't slide enough for me to lowside (or highside for that matter). Turned around to check it out and it was quite a bit of loose gravel from a driveway entrance.

I did put the foot down but since I was mid bend I also made sure to not stand the bike up and ride into the other lane or off the road, which is what I've always been worried about.

Probably not a huge deal for experienced riders but it was my first close call and I'm glad it happened because now I know I can at least handle the little mistakes.

2. good on you, good to see you didn't let your SR's get the better of you.

3. oh no, it's a huge deal for any rider.
    gravel is the devil.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep, enter every corner as if there's gravel waiting for you. You're getting the good kind of experience, the sort where you learn from what could have happened! :)

5. Yeah unexpected gravel is never good but you get much better at "reading" the road and working out where it is going to be and how much of it.

6. Gravel tends not to bother me that much, quite often I ride on it for fun.

7. Hell yeah, gravel on a bend is always laying in wait for riders. Only recently a middle-aged women on her cruiser out here got high-sided from the gravel swept out by car/trucks from the dirt road that enters on that bend, and she was only doing 80km/h at the time.

Like MT1 said, "Gravel is the devil"

8. Needless to say I was on the brakes a bit more on the way back.

9. We all hate gravel. Remember it's not how fast your bike can get around the corner (faster than you think it can BTW) it's how far ahead you can see.

10. We did see a bit of gravel on the ride through there this morning. Theres a few corners which almost always will have some, I've even put the car sideways up there (not deliberately!) on a couple

11. Expect every rural driveway on a slope to have gravel in front of it, pain in the ass. Why don't they just seal the last couple of meters?

12. Road gravel is a good reason to keep a spare pair of jocks handy for those country jaunts!