Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Looking thru the corner helps in that..........??

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Rogues, Mar 31, 2008.

1. (fill in the blanks please guys)
    Does looking further up the road/around the corner take the corner out of vision so to speak, negating target fixation??......getting rid of that,"Oh my god I'm going to quick, its tightening up, wot do I do, I'm running wide"..........line of thinking.
    If you are looking further into the corner is it that you dont realise so much the lean angle so you are not so tentative/nervous about tucking it in...??
    I only ask as I fall into this trap on cornering myself. I dont intend riding that quick that I'm hanging off the bike and whatever and I do get caught with the 'nervous nellies' going into some corners. :eek:hno:
    However, if I force myself to look further in I 'feel' like (a) Im cornering quicker (b) leaning it in more and, (c) not feeling nervous as much.

OK, I know there is a downside to just powering into a corner, :shock:
    but is there some logic to my reasoning.....??

Your thoughts from experience
    Rogues

2. I'm sure there will be lots of "you steer the bike with your chin" stuff to come. But in the mean time, I would say that you look through the corner so you can see where you're going. You don't need to know where you're going to be in 0.2 of a second, you need to know where you want to be in (for example) 2 seconds.

3. Do you watch you concentrate on your toes when you walk? Try it for a couple of hundred meters on a busy footpath and see what happens.

Multiply the speeds out and that gives you an idea of how far forward you should look.

Bought a trail bike last year (for the first time on dirt) and had to relearn the fixation problem all over again. So I suppose "micro-managing" your ride is pretty bad.

Rgds

4. Need to know what the corners doing and have as much time to react as possible, hence looking through the corner as much as possible. Peripheral vision is enough to deal with other aspects of the turn.

And knowing whats coming helps you from looking up and suddenly freaking out because you're going too fast/didn't see that wombat/didn't notice the corner was tightening up, etc.

Also it makes you look hardcore in photos :wink:

5. its all about being committed to where you are at in the corner, and focusing on where you will be.
    "micro-managing" as mentioned earlier in this thread is what generally makes a rider stand up and head bush.
    commit to your line, and keep your eyes on where you wanna be :cool:

6. Personally, always the left one first.

7. I don't know that it helps in "negating target fixation" - You're still fixating, but this time you're using the powers of target fixation for good instead of for evil.

By deliberately looking at where you want to be ("keep your eyes on the ball") your body can more easily tell where it is in relation and what it has to do to get there.

(I remember in an old thread about this, someone asked "I wonder if I should be looking through the turns when I drive my car" - answer: Yes. Cars, hanggliding, flying aircraft, playing tennis, basketball, cricket...)

8. :rofl:

9. :rofl: thanks cejay.

10. I used to have the same problem as I'm sure most riders have had, or still do. You need to train yourself to look as far into the corner as you can. By doing this you will avoid all obstacles, have better road position and be riding safer and quicker. By looking directly in front you will be constantly correcting your line as everything will be coming uo on you so quick and you will give yourself no time to react. I still sometimes catch myself making the mistake of not looking far enough ahead and would kick myself each time if I were flexible enough.

Try this: don't concern yourself with the speed, gear etc. Ride a little slower than you would. Choose a road you know fairly well. Ride a section a few times concentrating on focusing on looking through the corner. Don't fixate on a pothole or patch of gravel until you are up on it as you WILL hit or ride over it. Take notice of the road surface and adjust your position as needed. After a while it will become second nature and you will find yourself cornering faster and exiting corners faster.

All it takes is practice.
    Good luck

11. Good Post ... and alot of helpful hints
    thx guys ..
    oh and :LOL: @cejay .. you dick ! :p

12. Thanks, I try :)

You want helpful? Pfft, after the beating I took on my Edwards comments (sic), I'm not sure I'm cut out for that.

It's still left every time.

Looking to where you want to be next is essential for not crashing. Remember, head up, look to where you want to be and you'll end up there. Stare at that tree, you will crash. Eye up some lonely wombat and bad things will happen.

13. I suppose I'm just tentative about my cornering, as I said I'm too busy gettin' the nerves about running wide, lowsiding it and everything in between............
    My brain says I've got a lot more lean left in a gsx1400 on the bends but Im finding it hard to convince myself (big bloody sook) :(

14. So you didn't get the Blackbird?

If you're having trouble with this, maybe book yourself in for some intermediate training? What state are you in? (apart from nervous).

15. Good memory cejay :applause: decided I liked the look of the retro bike, brought back memories........ :p and couldnt say I didnt get good value in a new bike.
    I'm miles from anywhere mate, up on the mid north coast nsw.
    Cheers
    Rogues

16. Distance is a bummer. But if you're having problems, maybe look up some training places, it'd relieve some of those worries and increase your fun at the same time.

17. :grin: @ Cejay - left one indeed.

There's so much already online about this.

Devo may have put down the steering with the chin thing, but while you DON'T have a handle on looking through a corner and why, it's a good solid physical technique. You look where you need to go - not just with your eyes, but your head. If your chin points as far through the corner as you can, that gives the physical cues for your body to lean. Let your chin pull your upper body towards your mirror and the inside corner side of the bike. Q. why would that physical position be of any benefit to you?

As for looking through, it not only tells you where you need to get the bike, it also does another very important thing, it S L O W S down the corner.

Survival reactions get amped up in scenario's like Joel's/Phizog's. There's little warning when your vision is close to the bike. Look all the way through and the corners "slow" down, keeping your SR's at bay, leaving you with more CPU to do that good cornering stuff.

By the way, when you remind yourself to look through, also remind yourself to look up and through. Leave it to you to fathom out what that means.

Sav's answer is right-ish, but it seems more focussed on the end product of the "why" you look through question. However, the visual side of his training tip is a good one.

18. :LOL:
    keep this up, and you'll make it to Loz's Famous Quotes Thread.

19. Why you need to look through a corner has been answered. It's a proactive method of going where you want to go. And it keeps your focus on where your focus should be. (where you want to go - NOT where you DON'T want to go)

Looking as far as possible up the road, is a sure fire way of slowing things down....in effect....giving you more time to react, and for your mind to take everything in as you are travelling along. The faster you go, the further up the road you NEED to look. Likewize, the slower you are going, the closer to the bike you can set your eyes. Get it mixed up, and your brain will quickly short-circuit.

So...by looking where you want to go, as far ahead as possible, you will keep yourself on line, and give yourself time to adjust to what's coming.

John.

20. I didn't realise I was being marked. I'll have to study or use crib notes next time. :wink: