Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Looking for track friendly LAMS

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by RacingAce, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ok so the moment came when i said Zonda not honda and that can be blamed on TopGear and when the guy asked me in the shop whether I meant CBR not CPR I knew there was a reason for the L plate of my hyosung 250 GT...ok anyway as an ex jockey want to get into sport bikes and do some racing down at Clader Park...

any suggestions for a great LAMS sports bike? Im looking at the "Honda CBR 500" what do you think?

thanks heaps

2. If you're really keen on the racing thing I'd suggest you get a bike specifically for racing and track days and leave you road bike for the road.
  3. Forget the Honda CBR 500. It's not a race bike. You can pickup a dedicated track day Kawasaki ZXR 250 for around 2 thousand and have a ball against ninja 250 and 300's.

From my experience of motorsport, the best bet is to go during a race meet and check out who is racing what, and which class is popular.. A race bike is just the start, you need transport to get the bike to and from the track.

But are you talking about competitive racing, or just a track day?
    If it's just track days, I'd stick with the 250GT and be set for track days straight away. Another LAMS bike won't teach you anything the GT won't, and you can save the money for your next bike.
  4. Thanks for your reply:)
    Love riding everyday on the road but wanted a bike that could do a track day here and there (lams) for some upskilling and some fun not competitive...half road half sports bike?

Is there a bike for both as riding more on the road the racing for just some fun and learning
  5. CBR500R should be alright, (the R makes a huge difference)

But the Ninja 300 from Kawasaki is nicerer looking in my opinion.

By the way, best post threads in the right forum next time, cool?
  6. Before I answer that answer these.

Do you rely on your bike for transport?

Does it matter if the bike is damaged? Remember if you crash it on a race track chances are your insurance won't cover you unless it's an accredited training course.
  7. If you ride on the road a lot or everyday and rely on the bike as your major mode of transport, then b12mick is right, if you crash it on a track day, you are stuck with public transport. Even if you don't crash it, the sportier the bike, the less comfrotable it will be on the road.

I've only done one track day so far and I'm happy with my choice of bike. Track days have a uge variety of bikes not just super sports bikes. There were a few Z1000 at the track day I attended. There were bikes like Ducati Strada, A BMW GS, lots of Nakeds from other brands like Yamaha MT09, Fz8N etc. So you don't really need a full sport or supersport to do a track day. Whatever you ride, you will enjoy it. And a good rider on a naked can easily beat a mediocre rider on a full sport bike.
  8. You can take more or less any motorbike to a track day and have fun and learn from the outing.

My avatar (wee piccie) is me riding a 1978 Yammie DX125 at Eastern Creek.

Yeah, so folk went past me down the straight at about twice the speed I could do......
    130 kph. So what?

I had fun. I enjoyed the day....... and, I wasn't the slowest on the track either. ;-)
  9. Boris from AMCN took a Victory cruiser out on a track day at Eastern Creek, scraped the foot boards and wasn't the slowest out there. I have a lot to learn and was in the slowest group and I wan't the slowest out there either
  10. If you have your heart set on a new LAMS bike that fits 3 criteria

• road bike
    • track days
    • looks cool

Then the soon to be released KTM RC390 is worth a look.

Looks hot.

But again, your current bike can do everything you ask. You can spend the money on a faster bike

Spend the money on tyres, fuel and entrance fee. You will get more track days, and become a faster rider.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BTW, if you are an ex-jockey, try and find an Aprilia RS125 in good nick.

Sorry, not a 4 stroke one, but the pukka two-stroke version.

Properly set up and ridden, they are very surprisingly quick, and ladies look really good riding them, too!
  12. That's awesome! Great tips I really get it...thanks so much for all the advice, I didn't really appreciate just having a good bike and not totalling it at a track...yep just after some fun and how to take the corners properly at the track...will defiantly look up the KTM asprilla..isn't 125 abit too soft. Hey cool replays and once again thanks to NR members for your time it really helps to get perspective.the hyosung is cool but boys he's heavy and just need more power as I was dragged off by a scooter today at the lights but that's more about me not the bike lol thanks, cool pics crazycam!
  13. No.

The RS125 Aprilia is about the nearest thing to the old GP type bikes you can ride on the road.

Great frame, brilliant suspension, fantastic brakes.....the whole thing is just over 100 kilos and, in good nick, should have over 30 horsepower at some silly revs.....13,000?

They ain't exactly the best thing for a complete beginner, but, in the right hands, they are seriously quick.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Thankyou
    Thankyou so much will investigate :)
  15. Rvf400.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Honestly, when I hear people say LAMS and Track in the same sentence, I can't help but think of the older Honda's. CBR250rr MC22 and RVF400 NC35.

Mind you, both are on the older side with the newest of the CBR250rr's been 1999 models. They can still be found in good condition if you keep an eye out though. Only issue is on upkeep and maintenance, but if you're alright with swinging a few spanners or can find a contact who works with these bikes there's nothing bad about owning them.

They're a lot less tame than the modern 250's or LAMS bikes in general. The RVF400 is quoted at making 53hp at the crank. To put that into perspective the Ninja 300r makes 34hp, and is considered to be one of the quicker low CC bikes in the LAMS market right now.

If you need any further convincing...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Problem is a road registered Honda RSV400 is way overpriced.

As fun as a two stroke is, I wouldn't recommend the Aprilia RS125 as a track day and commuter bike.

Miah, shoot me a pm if you'd like to take my Honda 250cc Spada for a ride. It's light and has almost as much power as the 4 cylinder 250's, it might help you decide if the GT250 isn't for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Any LAMS bike is going to take a bit of cash to get it 'track worthy'. I have a Ninja 300 track bike and I've done the following upgrades to it:

1. Race glass (obviously not needed since it's also going to be your road bike)
    2. Stainless steal brake lines and EBC HH sintered brake pads (stock brake set up gets mad brake fade)
    3. Rearsets (it's VERY easy to scrape your toes and pegs with the stock rearsets)
    4. Tyres (most people who race 250/300 Ninjas will run Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs which are road legal)
    5. Quick turn throttle (not needed necessarily but it makes life a lot easier)

Suspension is still stock which sucks but I'm a tightass.

The CBR500R will also benefit greatly from the above upgrades to make it more fun at the track. Of course you can run it in stock trim (although I really wouldn't recommend running stock tyres no matter what) but it just wouldn't be as fun, especially without rearsets, they're a MUST IMO.

Small bikes are a blast at the track though. Your tyres last way longer than on a bigger bike and you can still carry the same corner speed as the big bikes. The Ninja 250/300s still achieve pretty respectable times at Broadford (under 1:10s)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. I'd just take the hyo out and get really friendly with track riding on it.

Buying older bikes is great if you've the inclination to do constant repairs on them, 2-strokes are novel but antiquated are a pain to refuel and fall into the older bike category, dedicated trackies are a nuisance unless you've a vehicle and trailer to move them about.........

Just ride what you've got until you can't make it go any faster and by then you'd have spent enough time around race tracks that you'll be able to make a sensible decision about what you really want to buy next.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. I forgot to add that the RS125, and the Cagiva Mito, a similar race bred 125 two-stroke, use petrol at a stupid rate.

My Cagiva 125 uses more petrol than my wife's car for the same distance traveled.
    • Like Like x 1