Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Looking for basic maintenance skills

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Kellieeclipse, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hi! I am new to the world of biking after watching from way too long from afar. My biggest problem is ( well one of many ;)) that I have no one to learn the basics of how to maintain my bike from. I am wiling to work/ pay for a bit of help- happy to attend track days, dirt or road or whatever and get my hands dirty. I am on Brisbane south side but will
    Travel. I have a dual
    Sport drz 250

2. Can't help you bc I'm in Vic, plus I wouldn't know anyway, but maybe there's a bike shop up there that runs courses? 60 Degress in Vic runs a basic maintenance course.

In the meantime, there's a lot of stuff on YouTube too.

3. I will have a look. A basic maintenance course would be great!

4. Kellie I'd be happy to help but I'm a little too far away and I'm sure that one of the gold coast or brissy members will assist you once they see this thread.
    If you get stuck though let me know.

5. Thanks! I will keep you in mind if I get stuck :). I saw a
    Tafe course but it was $1000! Ouch.

6. Perhaps you can open Kellies motorcycle emporium after passing that course and claim it on business expenses. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. If you can come up to caboolture one weekend I can take you through some servicing.

8. What do you consider to be "basics of how to maintain [your] bike"? Do you mean the simple stuff that everyone should be doing in between services, or are you looking to get a little more greasy?

Also, are you taking that dual sport off the road? (There are a few things you have to pay more attention to if you do)

9. Pickup a workshop manual, and some basic tools
    - Combination spanners
    - Socket set
    - hex keys
    - Screwdrivers
    - Filter wrench
    - torque wrench
    And you would be pretty much completely set to do most maintenance tasks on your bike.

Run through the periodic maintenance found in the manual, and follow the instructions.

As more complex tasks present themselves buy the required tools, and if need be ask questions.

It probably goes without saying though that some mechanical aptitude is required, lots of people get them selves in over there head as they lack the mechanical aptitude, it might seem simple i.e. put socket on bolt and turn, but it is easy to do damage, strip thread, round bolts, brake things if you don't have some basic understandings and knowledge of how to use tools properly.

PS. you look like Kate Richie

10. #10 Kellieeclipse, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    Vertigo1 I could get up there some time. Sure. Would be great to have someone with me the first time I do these things.
    I haven't got a manual yet but fully intend to purchase one and a few basic tools.
    At this point it's more the in between service stuff but hopefully I can learn more as I go along. I just want to ensure my bike is safe and well maintained firstly.

And as for mechanical aptitude I would have to say I am not a complete moron but have basic skills with tools :D

And I don't think I have ever been told I look like Kate Ritchie before ! Lol not sure if that's a compliment or an insult :cool:

On and yes KOHHOP. I will be taking it off road as well ....

11. I'd say you tube alot!! Seeing and hearing will re inforce things, and go see Vertigo1 and you'll find it easier to deal with after watching someone doing it already, nothing worse then thinking 'what the hell just happened'?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I youtube almost everything mechanical for my bike... so +1 on the youtube!

• Like Like x 1
  13. +2 on youtube. So helpful!! You could probably learn all the basic things like cleaning & lubing chain, changing sprockets, chaining oil.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep- between youtube and mates, I serviced my bike all by myself :D Only needed help getting 1 spark plug out. Woohoo!

15. Grab a manual on a cd from the web, or you might be able to download a free one from a DRZ forum (after a nominal membership fee perhaps).
    The servicing information in the manual will take you through step by step and tell you when to do stuff.

16. Chances are anything you get for free on the web will be a workshop manual. These are intended for someone who knows what they are doing, its essentially reference material.

Haynes manuals provide much more detail with photo's rather than line drawings and use full tips.

• Like Like x 1
  17.  Top
  18. I did stumble across that one but its on my touch football night! Lol.