Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pozeli, Dec 19, 2014.

1. So I am looking to get my Ls (finally) in the new year. I have never ridden before - only pillion on my husbands 1000CC GSXR. Hoping for some advise and suggestions from experienced Victorian riders.

1) Recommendations on centres to get your Learners - looking through each of them on the VicRoads website and speaking to friends who have got their License in Vic (husband got his in Adelaide years ago) and I am torn as to which centre to go to. I cannot seem to find much on the web in way of review of the licensing centres so any experiences people have had would be much appreciated. I liked the idea of DECA having a pre-learners course - however other centres such as the Caulder Park Raceway seem to offer you the ability to come back as much as you want.

2) The bike. My preference is for a fairly upright rather than a sports bike. Cruiser/Cafe Racer/Naked. I love the look of Suzuki TUX250 or the new Harley Davidson Street 500. My husband suggests getting a cheaper bike while I have my Ls however in case I drop it. Has anyone ridden either of these bikes (I realise the Harley only just came out in Aus) and with the TUX has anyone found anywhere you can get oggy nobs or something to protect the bike? It does not seem like there are ones available for that model?

3) Any female riders out there have any suggestions for gear? I want to get a leather jacket (with armour), probably kevlar jeans so I can wear them during the day rather than having to change out of my gear.. probably a Bell Helmet and not sure on gloves and boots... Has anyone tried the Draggin oilskin jeans? Any suggestions on the best priced retailers in Vic?

All suggestions will be much appreciated :)

2. Welcome Elle,

In response to your questions

1) it will largely depend on where in vic you live? I went to HART in tullamarine

2) haven't ridden either of those so I'm of no help there.

3) again will depend on where you live, but places like AMX (Keillor park, lynbrook, and there is a third but I forget where)
  3. Welcome Elle,

Best is to go online and do a Google search for Stay Upright and your suburb or Hart motorcycle and your suburb and from there you will find the location nearest to you. I'm from Sydney but you would find the school nearby the same way.

BTW - Interesting choice of your username "Pozeli" means wish in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian. How do I know? Well .... have a guess ;)
  4. Hi pozelipozeli

Reports back from those who come to Sat Practice. Seem to indicate that all the training centres are pretty good so you can probably go with whoever is closest or offers the best deal. Price structures vary so it is difficult to compare apples with apples. Some might be dearer but may offer a cheap retest if you fail, so it is a bit hard to say who is cheapest.

From what I heard (sorry no first hand experience as there was no learner training in my day - you simply got your licence if you didn't crash into a dinosaur) I wouldn't bother with pre-learner training. All the L training assumes no prior experience. For example at HART they start off with you pushing each other around the car park withthe engine off. (Hint-if you go to HART, choose a small partner).

If you buy one of the big brand bikes, there are probably no bad ones, so it is pretty much what appeals to you. I personally think Learners are better off on a preloaded bike rather than new in case you drop like your husband says but also because as a noob you really don't know what you want so better not to spend a huge amount on something that will reduce in value the minute you wheel it out the door of the shop.

If you plan on keeping the bike for the whole period you will be on restrictions then that could be grounds for buying new but there are still plenty of good second hand bikes which will see out 3 years.

As a noob you will probably want a smaller bike as they tend to fell easier to handle. However if you are planning on keeping the bike bigger is better as there are limitations with small bikes and generally these start to annoy after a while. Bigger bikes may feel more awkward initially but you will get used to them and in a relatively short period of time.

Oggy knobs may help protect the bike in some situations but aren't guaranteed to and may cause more damage in other situations.

I can't really comment on female gear however bikers Gear in Ferntree gully have reasonable gear fairly cheap and do sell women's gear. There are a few specialty women's gear stores about too.

I personally wouldn't wear Kevlar jeans. They are better than ordinary jeans which a lot of riders wear but at the end of the day the only thing holding the Kevlar to you is denim and that won't last that long sliding down the road. That's just my opinion, there is a heap of people who do use Draggins and the like.

You said a Bell helmet. Unless you know this brand suits don't get too hung up on brand names. Helmets are different and heads are different. You need to find the brand/model that suits. And ask the shop assistant to size you, most people buy too large. It should be tight. When you think you have found the one you want, wear it in the shop for 15-20 mins to make sure there are no pressure points that will cause discomfort.

Finally when you get your Ls, your bike and your gear, come along to the Saturday Practice sessions. It will help you develop your riding skills and meet other new riders.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hi pozeli
    The link below has been posted on another forum but is very useful to give you a rough idea how your body type would be positioned on almost every motorcycle you could think of. Well worth a look (y)
  6. Well...Welcome to the forums.. And hope you get the bike and gear sorted out soon.

All good advice has been handed out in the previous posts so no point in repeating the same things.
  7. Welcome Pozeli,

I went with HART for both Learners and Licence earlier this year. 100% recommend them for professionalism and value for money.

On the issue of bike choice, sit on everything you can. Shortlist the ones you like and go from there. Trust your gut. It's like buying sport shoes. Fit is more important than brand or colour scheme.
  8. 1) anywhere will do usually
    2) get a dirtbike
    3) i dont know, but get a dirtbike
  9. !) I got my L's at HART earlier this year through their 2 days course . Have gone back numerous times to do other courses and have been super happy with them.

2) Do your research and sit on ALOT of bikes - get the feel of them and test ride if you are game enough. and Yes you will drop your bike shtload of time so your husband is right ( i got mine brand new and the first time i dropped it..there was alot of tears and a tub of nutella involved hahah ! ) . I cant comment on any of those bikes but there are some bikjes that you absolutely cannot get oggy's for but you can get them custom made

Some Rec'd

3) I'm head to toe in alpine stars . My jacket is all leather with inbuilt armour keep in mind they are hot as fck in summer, have a look around Peter Stevens and AMX especially with boxing day sale next week .As for jeans ..i had hard time finding jeans in general that fits in all the right spot and Draggins Twista fitted best. Helmets- try on a few and get your self fitted at the shop . Every brand fits differently e.g I can only fit into Arai and Shoei , shark and bells hurts my head even with the right size , my head shape is not right for those brand. In a nutshell ..try on lots and lots of different brands and types .

Good luck and have fun!
  10. welcome aboard :] as far as the bike goes go and sit on a few to get a general idea then when you have your L's test ride the ones you liked.
    Your husbands idea of a second hand bike is good, any of the Suzuki/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha 250 cruisers are great and wont break the bank
  11. 1: go to whoever is closest to you, I did mine in Moorabbin and my wife did hers at Sandown. Much of muchness, don't get caught up in the hype of what some seem to offer. Your husband will be your on road coach anyway.

2: I don't know anything about either of those bikes, but you will find pretty much every single LAMS bike will have an upright body position including Ninja's and the like. Go for something used that has dropped it's value already. Chances are you will probably drop it somewhere along the line so a naked is a fairly good choice, once again, buy something that is going to be easy to resell in the future as you will upgrade.

3: Don't get caught up in the hype of certain 'must have' brands. Good quality, reasonable looking female riding gear is hard to find unless you want some interesting cruiser styled gear. Do yourself a favour and buy a leather zip together suit and pair of jeans as an extra. Get a decent pair of boots, gloves and a helmet that fits your head correctly.

As far as riding goes, your hubbie should take you to industrial estates until you're confident enough for open roads. The single biggest thing I noticed when teaching my wife, is women over think everything! Don't think, do! It will all become second nature in no time at all.
    I encouraged my wife to ride about 2-3 years ago, she went from never ridden before to a Ninja 250 - Street Triple R - GSXR750 to a brand new ZX636, on top of that she loves riding so much she has a dedicated track bike! Also, keep an eye out for the girls only track days at Broadford, they are great as there is far less testosterone around and is a really relaxed day with loads of regular and new faces. I like pit crewing on those days as us guys get to relax and have a chat talking crap in the pits.
  12. Tu 250 is a cracking bike, my wife got her L's in April and bought one, she loves it.
  13. In my experience, people take more notice of advice coming from total strangers than from family and especially from partners. We are already in the habbit of ignoring half of what they say and contesting the other half. :p

We had one couple come up to practice and I gave some advice to the wife who said that it was fantastic and really helped her riding. Her hubby rolled his eyes and said he had been telling her the same thing for months and she had been ignoring him.

Come to Saturday Practice. It may just save your marriage. ;)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. I guess it's up to the individual.
  15. FEMALE CLOTHING = JOE ROCKET web sites / ebay
    I went to Calder Park 'Rider Bros' alot of people have found HART is the easiest
    Hubby's right, you will drop your first bike, go a second hand to start with, then no tears !!
    good luck and a strong suggestion to attend saturday morning practise sessions a huge tick for that.
  16. I have heard AMX has a good range I'll check it out - thanks! I plan on getting my gear slowly over the next couple of months while saving for the bike then going for my Ls once the bike is sourced. Then practice practice practice
  17. Oh I didn't know that - that is cool. Our last name Pozenel was originally a Yugoslavian name before Trieste was taken over by the Italians so my hybrid of my first and last name being a Bosnian word makes sense :) guessing you are from there?
  19. Cool thanks Ill check it out :)
  20. Haha thanks :)