Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Looking for a Brake Cylinder Rebuild Guide

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by slideways, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hi there, my brakes on my bike have been feeling spongey (but not like the feeling you get when air is in there) - and the lever seems to be getting closer to the bar.

The pads are new the hoses are braided with no leaks, and I've tried bleeding them. still feels a bit spongey.

I'm going to give one of these brake cylinder rebuild kits a go, but I can only seem to find guides on CALIPER rebuilds... anyone got any info.. or is it pretty straightforward. (I've done a bunch of work on my bike before)

If they still feel spongey after this I'll take it to a mechanic to get looked at.
  2. Re: Brake Cylinder Rebuild Guide

I suspect you've still got air in the lines, tape the lever to the bar over night & have another go. Another good tip is to take the calipers off & push the pistons all the way in, this pushes any air trapped in the calipers back up the lines & you can bleed it out.

Assuming it's not a radial M/C, rebuilds are quite easy, it's usually just held in place by a circlip. Remove circlip, remove old parts, clean, reinstall new parts & circlip.

Radial I assume would work in pretty much the same fashion, but I haven't worked on any yet.
  3. Re: Brake Cylinder Rebuild Guide

Should be be a fairly comprehensive write up in any decent workshop manual for your bike,exploded drawings and step by step process for your caliper and master cylinder.
    Hardest bit is usually getting through the grunge to find the circlip ,depending on the length of time its been there undisturbed.
  4. Re: Brake Cylinder Rebuild Guide

Amen to that. I did my first master cylinder rebuild last week, and getting the circlip out was the tricky bit. It's all pretty straightforward after that - pull the old bits out, put the new bits together so they look the same, put them back in the same way. Just make sure you keep everything clean!