Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Looking for 400 - 700cc posties.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by mattb, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Looking for opinions. Am thinking about buying a middle weight bike,
    400-700cc, which could meet the criteria my old postie used to meet.

*cheap purchase price $1500-2000, with good engine and body (ie no more to spend, except of course tyres and disks)

*Bullet proof

*Cheap to repair, with a simple motor

While looks matter, I'm prepared to sacrifice them for something meeting
    these needs. The postie cost me $17 in parts in two and a half years, the GT is costing a lot lot (!) more in work needed, and so exceeding my (student) means, which will remain meagre for at least the next couple of years. The postie was originally chosen as transport because it is cheap and bullet proof, as was the SR that succeeded it, but the joy of riding means I now, these days, need a middle-weight, but one that is practical for my income. Stylistically I'm a classic road bike and cruiser fan, but I'm open to any style of bike (am even thinking dual purpose might fit it - I'll just have to ride it, not look at it! :( Besides, I love singles).

So anybody recommend any particular bikes to look out for, as especially meeting these criteria? What are the posties of the middle-weights?

Ps Some bikes I've noticed in the Trading Post that might fit the bill - any opinions on them:

Honda CB400N 57,000kms, great cond, ready for reg, $1200ono

1988 SUZUKI DR600R PARIS-DAKAR J DUAL PURPOSE $1,500 59,138km