Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Looking at buying a Suzuki gs500E with 128,000km. Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Darren96, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I am curently looking at buying a gs500e to upgrade from my hyosung gt250e so that i have a bigger bike that I can keep for years to come even after I go onto my open license. it has 127,000kms on it but is very tidy, new tyres, sprocket, chain and more. he's asking around 2,500 and am wondering if it is worth it? I like the bike a lot but am curious as to whther that many km's is just too much and shouldnt even be bought for a 100 bux. any insight would be a great help. thanks!

2. Offer him 2k. If the oil's been changed regularly the GS lump should have a good few kms left in it but very few people want a bike with over 100k on it so, as a potential buyer, you're in the box seat for haggling.
  3. Is the guy providing a road worthy certificate?
    How much Rego is left?
    What condition are the tyres in?

If you're planning on keeping the bike for a long time, it makes more sense getting something with lower kms
  4. It depends on how much work you are prepared to do yourself.
    At that sort of km I'd expect to replace steering head and swingarm bearings.
    The rear shock would quite likely be at the end of its life.
    There's a myriad of small annoying stuff can go wrong like clutch springs losing their tension, electrical connections fracturing and ignition coils going belly up.
    Now I'm not saying all this stuff will happen but it gets more likely with age.
    Fixing these kind of things is usually pretty cheap as long as you're prepared to DIY. I for one, wouldn't want to pay someone else to do it.
  5. yes he is providing a roadworthy, only a couple of months rego left. the tyres look almost new. In what I can see from photos, all round good condition for over 100k
  6. Is he the original owner?
  7. Does the bike come with service log book?
  8. If yes to the above questions, then go test ride it.
  9. A mate sold his GS500 with about 65,000k for $3,000 iirc. I'd imagine something like that would be lucky to be worth $1,500.
  10. There you go.
    problem solved
    Go buy a gs500 with 50,000km to 70,00km on it for $3000.
    The same precautions still apply.
  11. Thanks a lot for your help guys. I'll go test ride it and offer him around 1500, but most likely less and see if he takes it. if not, no loss to me. thanks jd for the link, gave me a better idea of the prices
  12. i used to think they were one of the most reliable bikes, until toad cats timing chain tension failed and his engine ate itself. His bike was well maintained its whole life and it only made it to 63k odd kms

get something with less imo.
  13. that certainly was odd.

This. Unless money is the biggest factor, there are enough around at a reasonable price and significantly less km. While engine should still be fine, the bike will be getting old.
  14. never ever belive what the speedo says ,only a fool will look at the speedo reading and belive it ,
  15. If it has service log books with dates and kms stamped by reputable dealer/mechanic then there is a very good chance the kms are accurate.
  16. if you belive that. you will belive any thing a sales man tells you ,i have seen a bike with over 180,000 km on the speedo ,at a auction and then seen the same bike at a bike shop in sydneys west 3 weeks later with a speedo reading of 58,000 km ,with log book ,no log book was with the bike at auction , ,same goes for cars ,my triumph is 43 years old and the speedo reading is 34,000 miles ,its been that for over 20 years , ,its been about that long since the speedo cable shit it self ,,
    • Like Like x 1
  17. So we should all buy bikes with 200,000kms then
  18. #19 positron, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    I never suggested it doesn't happen, but you would have to be just as foolish to believe it happens all the time.
    If you believe it does happen all the time, then remind me not to buy a bike from you
  19. nah I'd agree with tiprat here. There's a myriad ways an odometer reading, especially on older bikes, may be inaccurate. Clocking over, broken speedo cable, or even just new instruments.

There's no way I believe people like Sumoto sell 20+ year old bikes each with only 20k on the clock. Whatta joke.