Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

lookin for a good mechanic who doesnt charge the earth....

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by oz_johnno, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Hi there,
    I have been in Adelaide these last few months and needed a bike service. the locals put me onto a crowd called 'renew motorcycle repairs' who werent all that far from the plant I was working at in Elizebeth. Since the service I have brought a set of tyres, brake pads and another service from them because not only is their work first rate but they have been pretty cheap as well (saved about $150 on a set of PR2's alone).

When I asked them how come they were so cheap they said that because of the positioning of the shop, the fact that there were only 2 of them and they didnt have to pay 15 guys in the spare parts dept to drink coffee all day, their overheads were pretty low, and they could afford to pass on the savings to their customers.

This has changed my thinking some what as I have always taken my bike to a dealershipand I havent always been happy with their work.

SO the point of all this is that I now find myself looking for a bike mechanic in the south east of melb, who does a good job at a reasonable rate.

I thought this forum would be a good place to ask.

any ideas...... ?

OZ

2. From calling a few places I would find an hourly rate ~$80 - 90 is acceptable.
    I am used to paying $85 an hour.
    It's not always the hourly rate either that can make a different. If you have a bike that the mechanic knows to an extent it can save you money as they may be able to work on it quicker instead of looking for where something is.

But personally I am willing to pay a little extra from a place that will explain to me what has been done and actually takes pride in their work.

I can't tell you who does good work down there though.

3. You poofs pay people to work on your bikes? :LOL:

Geeth, that's pretty cheap. I thought labor was upwards of $100.00 an hour these days?

4. That's what most smaller places charge that i have called.
    Though Pro kawasaki is $95 an hour. Team moto is about 100.

5. the reason why Im trying to find this out now is that I have to get my vlve clearances done next service........ thats about an $800 job I am told.

Man that 24k service has come around quickly..... only had the bike 8 months.

OZ

6. Bloody hell Oz.

At that sort of price you could buy all the tools you'd need, the shims, and some beer for a friend who's handy with those things to go around and show you how to do it. And still have plenty of change...

7. Tell me about it mate... I know people in hobart, I know people in adelaide, but unfortunately no one in Melb.

oz

8. here's a long shot - can anyone recommend a mob who'll rebore a cylinder, press in a new liner, and bore out the crankcase? it's a single and i've got it all in pieces, but i'm getting like $300 quotes and its less than half an hours work... wish i was still in tafe, crazy machine shop at swinburne hawthorn.

9. Re: lookin for a good mechanic who doesnt charge the earth..

check out these guys Oz....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Notting-Hill-Australia/Sixty-Degrees-Motorcycles/95025733469?ref=ts

Chris is the mechanic there, knows his stuff.

Sebastian, it would be worth having a chat to him as well, dunno if he's got all the gear there, but he's got all the connections so he'll be able to steer you right.

10. Try ray at trueline engine reconditioning in moonee ponds....a true gentlemen and VERY knowledgable old fellow....but to be quite honest i dont think its half an hours work....

11. I recommend going to PETE THE POM! (Everything 2 Wheels). You'll see the ad up the top. Shop's in Fitzroy North, but for the quality of worksmanship and the all-around warm feeling you get, give him a go! :)