Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Look before you leap

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Kyba274, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Look before you leap. This one fundamental rule has saved people from jumping into dangerous holes, onto stuff, into things and so forth, for thousands of years.
    Now why cant people listen to their natural instincts and apply that on the roads?
    I see so many people nowadays that indicate, start to move into the next lane, and THEN look at whats there. Only to have to dangerously swerve back into their lane to avoid that car/truck/bus/motorcycle.

What has happened to the sequence of this survival instinct??

Leap and then look?

2. It's different when your leaping in an indestructible machine.

3. I think you got the task list wrong, the common chain of events I see is...
    • Initiate the lane change (this may or may not be augmented by a quick glance in the rear-view mirror),
    • Indicate (again, purely optional),
    • Violently swerve back when they either:
      • Hear a frantic warning blast of the horn/squeal of tires from the driver/rider in the next lane they're about to collide with, or
      • Miraculously notice the car/truck/bike in the next lane at the 11th hour.
    • Sheepishly avoid eye-contact with the owner of the said vehicle they almost hit and make out nothing happened.
    On one occasion I witnessed P-plate driver who was traveling in the left lane with a parked cars ahead of him (luckily I was traveling in the opposite direction). he sped up to jump into the next lane (no indicator) but was unaware of the large table-top truck who was occupying the space he wished to fill. What ended up happening was he went partly under the tray, was spat out into the first parked car and proceeded to pinball his vehicle between the truck and a number of the parked cars. Finally (with the following traffic attempting to avoid joining the choreographed metal tango - successfully I might add), the car spun around and came to a rest facing the oncoming traffic. Personally, I would have loved to see the description of the incident (can't really call it an accident) on the driver's insurance claim and/or the story told to the police when they arrived :)

4. I just love when people say they didnt see you, yet you saw them well enough to know they never even tried looking in the first place.
    Especially those ones whose mirrors you look at, and can see the ground, or the roof lining... anything other then their face... you just know that their mirrors are pointed anyplace other then where they ought to be.

5. I've noticed of late that more and more drivers are even failing to look before changing lanes.
    They indicate, wait 1 second and then move anyway despite what is next to them forcing the car they are about to hit to take evasive action.

It's just bizzare behaviour but fear not, our Safety Scameras will save Lives.

:jerk:

6. Its the cyclists fault

7. Absolutely right - if the cyclist wasn't there they wouldn't need to have waited till they were right on the bicycle then dive right without indicating.

(this morning on Sydney Road - actually most mornings on Sydney Road).8-[

8. Lately I've seen more and more old people who actually drive with their heads on the rest the whole time and look thru the sides of their eyes. No head checks & hardly any mirror checks. Then when you pull up next to them they get freaked out.

I think the licensing system of Australia needs to be tightened up in order not to let every Tom, Dick & Harry on the roads causing unnecessary dangerous situations.

9. Our licensing system is a throwback to a time when our country had half the population, probably less than a quarter of the cars today - and our streets were generally broad and not overly congested.

Now we have more people - everyone who can nearly has a car - instead of the 1 car per say family of 4.

Now consider europe and why they have the licensing system they do

congested - small roads - high populations - climate is also a factor - we dont get snow here in this country except a small isolated area

I do agree it needs reform -

I do not agree however that all young people for example are to blame for how they drive and habits they pick up ( unless its drunken bravado type stuff like the incident with the 6 in the car ) -- they only can drive how they have been taught/instructed

I was taught by my old man -- he drove around east europe in a truck in snow blizzards, icy roads etc etc

How many can say here that they had the benefit of that wide experience being taught to them when they learnt to drive ?

Should any of us for example migrate to Canada - I am sure the licencing authorities would before granting us a licence enforce that we do ice/snow driver training even if you have 50 years driving experience in Australia

10. I'm amazed you've seen someone indicating when changing lanes.

11. I haven't had many of these since I started riding, but it's only on the up lately. Nearly had a bloke in a flat tray truck share my lane the other day, my frantic beeping got rid of him though ;)

12. Too funny, I live in hope that tools like this will soon be eligible for a darwin award.

13. You need to make sure youre in the eye line of heavy vehicle drivers

14. No chicken this time R1 bud?

15. saying "sorry i didn't see you" is as stupid and redundant as someone saying "sorry i couldn't stop in time" when they rear end you.