Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Loobman or Scottoiler - Opinions and maybe a group buy?!?!?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Toecutter, Sep 3, 2006.

1. I did a search and saw a group buy was done for Loobman in March.

For those who bought one what do you think?

And anyone interested in buying one, post up and we'll check numbers - minimum four to get a discount.

Info here www.loobman.com

EDIT - Also like ot hear how ScottOiler's work. I've checked with two mechanics and both times I've left with a can of chain lube :shock:
  2. I bought one of these late last year for my VFR. I think it ended up costing $45 and was delivered a week after ordering. The instructions are reasonable but basically its a guide as you get a bag of bits (cheap plastic bottle, fish tank air tubing, a peice of coathanger wire, electrical ties and a molded plastic oil delivery thing) that you have to cut, shape and make an attaching system for.
    The single side swing arm made fitting a bit more of a challenge, especially as I didnt want it to look tacked on. All up took a couple of hours at least.

Experimented with various oils/viscosities but because the flow is basically unmetred but for the length of the delivery tube (determines how long before oil is delivered to chain) and a rudimentary volume adjustment. Temperature has a big effect on the delivery of the oil and the delivery whiskers (a couple of bits of electrical tie) wore out in a couple of months (I do about 700km/week). Its a dirty fiddly job to replace them!

Unfortuantely it is impossible to get a consistant volume of oil delivered to the chain and even then it is delivered in pretty much one dollop. Despite much tinkering I often ended up with oil dripping off the chain and flung over the back of the bike. It left drips on the path where ever it was parked and after 7 months gave up and bought a Scottoiler.

The Scottoiler by comparison, although a universal kit was a fully manufactured item. It contained many fitting kits and excellent instructions. Although a more complex device it was easliy fitted in 45 mins and worked from day one. I have no more oil drips or oil all over the back of the bike. Its easy to adjust and works consistantly irrespective of the air temp.
    I have mine set on 5 -5 and have to refill the resevior every 2000 - 2500kms.

The Loobman was around $45 and the Scottoiler $200 (with Netrider discount at Bikemart). If the Scottoiler price is fair then the loobman should be $10 and even then I wouldnt recommend it as is reqiures too much stuffing around.

PM me if you want any more info.
  3. Thanks for the review Redbruce - so the Scottoiler does it all much better I've heard as well. How long to install and what about for the mechanically challenged :oops:
  4. Unlike Loobman, Scottoiler instructions (and website) are detailed, clearly written and make instalation a breeze. I did it in 45 mins taking it fairly easy but I am mechanically inclined. For the less skilled the Scottoiler should still easily be doable. It is a fully manufactured kit and its just a case of deciding which of the numerous fitting options are most appropiate for your bike.
    In my case there were specific instructions for the VFR on the Scottoiler website.

The loobman on the other hand is fiddly and you have to be able to make it up as you go as the kit is basically just raw materials - not really suited to those that arent experienced.
  5. almost every bike I looked at in the UK came with a scottoiler. When I bought my bike over here the guy that came with me (who's been riding for 25 years, and teaching advanced in UK for 15) said that scottoiler was the only way to go - he'd consider nothing else!
  6. Yeah I found the loobman did a great job as long as the plastic cable tie delivery guides lasted, although if I gave the bottle a squeeze and didn't ride far enough afterwards, it ended up dripping. As for the delivery guides, after a while the sprocket chews through them, and as Bruce said, replacing those cable ties is a filthy and annoying job.

Still, the chain stays nicely lubed and sparkly clean with a loobman on. So the chain looks wonderful, even if this visual effect is buggered up by the ugly cable tiews and plastic tubing you use to mount the thing.

Personally, I've got a centre stand so I'm going back to spray stuff and the ol' loobman's going into a box in the cupboard somewhere.