Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Longest weekend ever

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Dan.adl, Apr 20, 2012.

1. So it's the 20th today. My restrictions expire today. Me thinking that they expire today I would get my license unrestricted and go test riding.
    Not so, I could argue the definition of an expiration date with the RTA or wait until Monday.
    Time to wait some iom tt DVDs and maybe a movie or two until an extended lunch break on monday.

2. Annoying. My expectation would be that if they "expire" ON the 20th, and today IS the 20th, then: they are expired. Because today is the day they expire.

Is that so wrong, RTA WTF ?

I mean, why define it in a way that's ambiguous. Surely one day isn't worth arguing about, so why are they bothering to nitpick, why not just define it in a way that can't be misinterpreted?

Maybe for consistency they are treating it the same as they would treat a licence, which I presume is valid until the end of the day it expires. But I don't think that particular "consistency" benefits anybody, in any meaningful way, really.

3. The RMS is open on Saturday mornings Dan.

4. Not sure about NSW... but you probably come off your restrictions at midnight tonight don't you?

Which means on the weekend you will be off restrictions :)
    Or do you actually need to upgrade your license. e.g. here in the ACT if you have a full car license, the bike restrictions have a date listed, but people don't have to go and get a new license printed if they don't want to.
    (note this is my understanding of the ACT system).

5. Service SA is open 9 till 5 Monday to Friday.
    And the kicker is R-date is still considered a restricted license after the date until it is renewed.

6. That is stupid... can't you pay it in advance? when I came off my Ps for the car in the ACT (and i know that sometimes there are redeeming features to living here) I went in a month before the licence was up and told them I would be on holidays when it expired and they handed me a full licence that said C Prov until and an end date for the restriction. They told me the next time I needed to come in was to renew it three years after that. I fail to understand how such stupid rules can restrict the application of common sense.