Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Longer ride today - things noticed

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Zaphod69, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

Went for my longest ride today - Penrith to Campbelltown down the Northern Rd and back - 46k's one way.

First real ride in traffic with lights etc.

Things noticed:

1. Very supprised at the courtesy being showen to me as a learner.
    2. Really happy with my progress riding. No stalls, stutters or wobbles.

Working on my friction point / dragging the rear brake for slow control - worked well in the traffice today.

Tried to maintain the 5 second gap between me and the next car.

Still not really confident on cornering - counter steering and picking the right gear for the corner. Instead of slow-in, fast out I'm more slow in, try to control my throttle then slowly applying power when I see the corner opening up - more slow in, slow out at this stage.

Also concentrated on not strangling the bars and relaxing my arms. Working better but still not as relaxed as I might be. I'm still nervous riding and really wanted to enjoy todays ride and relax - beautiful day.

Had some other riders going past in the other direction and got nods and waves - really cool.

Got home and still buzzing - very happy all up.

Have a great evening!

Wayne :grin:

2. Good stuff Wayne :)

Before you know it you will be wondering what you were worried about
  3. Penrith to Perth, next week, no worries :LOL:!!!
  4. Hi Wayne,
    Try to get out on some of the group rides and to the coffee meets and you'll find a wealth of info and people willing to guide you along
  5. Or leave u behind in the dust .... =[