Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Longer Chain for bigger Sprocket?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by cakeman, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Hi, i have an rvf400 and am doing my chain and sprockets. I am going up 2 teeth on the rear. Do i need to increase the chain length my 2 extra links then the normal standard gearing chain length?

Also on gearingcommander.com and my Haynes workshop manual it says the chain length is 102 links. I was at MCA's and in there little book it said 112. Is the best thing to do measure my old chain against the new?

2. when u buy a chain from a workshop it comes in a box, the chain is ALWAYS to long, so u have to fit the new sprockets and then try on the chain, once u try on the chain mark the chain the link u want to cut it at. the workshop u bought the chain from should cut it for free,
  3. thanks guys. went to put the new chain and sprockets on. COULD NOT for the life of me remove the front sprocket! it was on so tight, and i have never seen so much gunk and crap around the front sprocket housing.

I think the person before me who owned the bike must not have belived in torque wrenches.

I had a mate putting all his weight on the rear brake lever and had it in gear so it couldnt move, and still nothing.

Im taking ot to Double RR on thursday to have a look at them.

Ever since ive had the bike, fixing/reparing has not been a problem, unscrewing bolts/screws has been a MASSIVE problem!

4. Thank God for rattle guns lol
  5. This is so tight i think a rattle gun would struggle
  6. wd40?

and no1 answered if he needed to adjust chain if he added 2 extra teeth
  7. Hey mate,

There was a video on youtube that I watched a few weeks ago, a bloke shows you how to guage howmuch length you need/tips to make it easier, was great, i'd post it up if i'd have kept the link.
  8. No use measuring your old chain against the new. The old chain has probably stretched well beyond specification. I also wouldn't pay much attention to what the shop manual says. I replaced my stock zzr250 chain with a brand new x-ring cut down to equal the number of links on the stock chain. I had also upped both sprockets by one tooth each. As it turned out, the chain was juuuust long enough. Lucky me.

I think the best way to figure out how many links to remove is to follow this guide here. You basically have to take off the old chain, put on the new sprockets, push the rear wheel forward on the swingarm, and thread the new chain from rear sprocket to front sprocket to rear sprocket, holding one end of the chain on the end of the rear sprocket while you pull firm and overlap it with the other end, trying to estimate how many surplus links you have.

The golden rule is, if in doubt, allow an extra link, because if you cut your new chain too short, it is next to useless.

If you use an angle grinder at any point, such as to take off the old chain, beware the sparks can score expensive shiny wheel rims, so cover them with a towel or something.