Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Long time viewer, first time poster

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by madsam31, May 22, 2012.

1. Well, i had my first off this morning on my way to uni. Been riding for about 1.5 years, so i guess it was bound to happen eventually.

It was early morning at about 8 30, i was running off very little sleep (< 3 hours thanks to uni assignments) and coming in to drop them all off. The rode has an S bend in it, and just before is a metal grate that covers the span of the road. Not going very fast at all (< 20km/h) but i must have started leaning a bit too early, and before i knew it the back wheel had completely lost traction and i was heading for the ground.

No damage to me, gloves and jacket took the impact on my body, and my jeans survived without any damage. The bike however has a big dent in the tank, a few scratches here and there, and the front wheel is a bit misaligned.

The scratch on the tank goes down to the metal, and the dent covers the whole Vstar badge. Quite unfortunate really. Any idea how much to expect from a quote and all that, and how long i can leave it until it does further damage (rust etc)? Thanks to uni i'd rather not have to deal with this for a month or so, unless its urgent of course.

2. Ouch
    Dunno answer mate but would guess it would be
    Cheapest buying a new tank and diy fit ? Ebay
    If thats the case rust wont matter )
    Young fella on a cruiser - pretty cool
  3. Good to hear you're okay - what did you learn?
  4. Glad you are OK, leave it for the moment a couple of months will not matter much. Any rust will be surface rust and if you have it repaired you can sand that back.

+1 to Cyclops, everything is a learning exercise.
  5. Sorry, that was a bit blunter than I had intended it to be.

I just mean to say it's good to have a think about what happened and what you did or didn't do that contributed to the off.

Like they say in football, when you lose, don't lose the lesson.
  6. mate glad you're ok. Bike will still ride with scratches, get the safety thing sorted, whell aligned propely, and search thread on here there have been a few who repaired their own, save a dollar and do some reading [like you dont do any lol]
    Good to hear you're ok, thats the main thing.
  7. I hate those grates.

The moron who designed the industrial estate I'm working in, definitely doesn't ride a bike!!!

In the space of 50 meters, I have to do a U-Turn into the car park, with a grate right as you lean in (even at slow speeds, you still need to lean the bike), followed by a 90 degree right hand corner, with a bloody SPEED HUMP on the diagonal apex of the corner!!!

Only a matter of time before I drop the bike in one of these spots.
  8. Thanks for the replies guys, i hadn't really considered buying a new tank, but it seems like a reasonably fun holiday project. Besides, i've been meaning to upgrade a few bits on it, the perfect excuse now.

Filled out an accident report, plan to report it to OH&S too, surely they can coat the steel in something that's not the smoothness of teflon.

I ride the same road daily and never had a problem before, i guess a mixture of early morning dew, complete lack of sleep and awareness, and hating my life got the best of me. Ah well, no lasting damage to me, so lessons learnt and shall take more care forever after.