Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Long time coming

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Kwak Kwak, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Hello Everyone,

I haven't owned a motorcycle in quite a while 10yrs in fact :( and will soon be back in the saddle of my childhood favorite a zx7r :) I know there are a million other bikes considered a 1998 srad gsxr750 also but went with my heart with the Kawasaki. Hopefully it all works out well.

Ive read alot of different things about the bike, any advice on what look out for besides the weight "issue" would be appreciated.

One of the first things I need to resolve is refurbishing the front fork seals. Having never done it before what kind of cost should I anticipate? And can anyone recommend a good mechanic?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Welcome to NR. I had zx7r brand new in "97 wrote it off at PI awsum bike for its time. Weight wise not that much heavier than todays bikes, but excellent front end and feel.Wouldnt know dollars for seals but im shore someone will chime in .
  3. I've ridden a (non-cruiser) bike that weighs 250kg, it seems bad on paper, but once you're moving it's not so bad.

As for seals, that can get expensive at some places, there's plenty of instructional videos and the like to teach you to do it yourself if you'd rather go that route. It's really not that hard as long as you get the right tools.
    If you do have to go to a mechanic, I suggest you take him the forks alone instead of the whole bike, you should be able to negotiate a better price that way as you'll be saving him a lot of time.
  4. Hi Kurtz,

Thank you for your response, as you suggested I will most likely remove the front end and take it to a mechanic.
    I can't wait to get it on the road!
  5. Thank you Itchin,

Ive always wanted one, I just love the way they look! I remember watching their sucess in wsbk as a teenager. I lot of people are quick to say they're this or that get something more modern, lighter, faster blah blah blah.
    But hey guess im still stuck in the 1990s and I love bikes from that period. Almost went the srad but an opportunity came up for a decent zx7r for the righy money and tgat waw that!
    Hopefully tye seals dont come back to bitebme dollar wise.
  6. Welcome to NR and welcome back to riding
  7. Thank you Lazy Libran!
  8. welcome aboard :]
  9. If u take the bike into the shop don't pay more than about $300 for fork seals. If your taking the front end in then u really should only be up for about half that. A decent mechanic should be able to do the job in 1 hour plus parts if u ask me

10. Hi Basejumper,

Thanks for the heads up. Can anybody recommend someone in south western sydney?
  11. Hi Jefco,

Thank you
    • Like Like x 1