Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Long live the triples.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Ruder Intruder, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Firstly G'day to all, I am currently rebuilding/restoring a 1977 xs750 that was purchased for the paltry sum of $100 with the keys in the ignition!! The bike is complete but untidy in most areas. If any members has done an xs750/850 triple send me a PM. What I am after is a decent parts supplier here in Austalia that deals with older Yamaha parts, I am not interested in restoring it to original condition but turn it into a cafe racer of sorts so the parts I want are not cosmetic. I currently ride an 09 intruder so I am not in a hurry to finish this project.
    Cheers to all.

Attached Files:

2. noice.

Yamaha are meant to be pretty good with parts for older bikes. these bikes weren't hugely popular in Aus. I think there was a potential second gear problem like many 70s/early 80s bikes (particularly Yamaha).

I looks like it's got most of it's original parts so in some senses it will be a shame to modify it. I'd be tempted to resto it.

US fleebay is always a good place to look for early bike parts. Much cheaper and plentiful than Aus.
  3. Show and Go in South Australia have an XS750 on their list of bikes they are currently wrecking

I recently bought a replacement saddle from them and the delivery to Sydney was a very reasonable $16. Also found them fantastic in responding to e-mails. I think the longest I waited for a response was about 30 mins.
  4. Hmm. XS750 eh? Don't see many of those these days.

TBH, I doubt if a restored, standard Yam triple would be worth enough to make the effort worthwhile, so I'm afraid I'm going to continue my Disagree With ibast streak a little longer and suggest that a cafe racer would be the way to go. If you feel really guilty, you could always keep all the stock bits and not cut anything about too radically.

Mechanically, I was once told by a bloke in the UK, who'd had a few of these, that at least the models we got there had been subject to a number of recalls. Bikes were marked as having had the work done by a star stamped after the engine number. I can't remember how many a fully sorted bike should have but, basically, the more stars the better. Dunno if the Aus market bikes had the same thing.

Allegedly the 850 top end is a straight swap. Doesn't add much power but it scores in mid-range torque.

Suspension is typical '70s Jap fare. Konis (sorry, Ikon these days), a fork brace, Progressive Suspension springs and heavier fork oil are your friends. Or you might be able to stick a later set of forks in the stock yokes. The other day I found a very useful table of fork diameters and centre distances here, which can be used to check compatibility.

For rearsets and such, I'd be surprised if anyone does much for the triple any more, but there may be some interchangeability with the more popular XJ650/750 or the XS1100.

Good luck with it.
  5. Damn You!:blackeye:

Actually I had in mind a really shmick xs1100 I saw a few months ago when I wrote the comment.

But yeah, bikes are typically worse in the flesh than in a photo, so there may be just too much work and expense to turn in concourse.
  6. Best supplier of older Yamaha bits in Victoria is Yamwreck 03 98078376 I know he has wrecked at least one of these in the past...
  7. Thanks for the suggestions guys....the xs is alive and kicking...running like a demon with a little work.