Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Long distance riding

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Mychandyl, Jan 31, 2016.

1. I'm a relative newbie to riding and it's taken over my life! I started riding two years ago on a Hyosung cruiser 250, upsized to a Honda NC 700 six months ago, and in that time I've covered 37,000 kms. I suppose what I'm lacking in longevity I've made up for in riding hours. I commute daily and ride for hours on the weekends.
    I've joined Netrider as I would like some advice from what appears to be a great riding community. In a months time I'm riding solo from Melbourne to Sydney. Staying a few days there and then riding on to the Blue mountains for a couple of nights. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done those trips in particular or has useful tips for riding long distances such as these. I'm travelling by the coastal route on the way up so will split the ride up over several days allowing for weather conditions. Travelling inland on the way home.
    One thing I'd like to know is the road condition through the Blue Mountains. As I'm planning this trip in advance I have to consider the fact that it might be pouring with rain. I'd prefer it not to be but Mother Nature isn't going to take my preferences in to account unfortunately. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  2. The good thing about Melb-Syd on a bike is you're forced to take a break every 200kms or so for fuel (depending on the bike), so use that time to re-hydrate even if you don't feel too thirsty. I like to listen to music to keep me entertained, If I haven't got my headphone in then I'll usually have ear plugs to help limit fatigue of wind noise. I also take some lollies like snakes with me as they're good little pick me ups when I stop to take photos or have a unscheduled break.

Unless I'm in a rush to be somewhere I usually plan my days roughly around a 8hr working day (eg: 8am-4pm) because that's what my body is used to concentration wise.

As for the rain, if you've got the right gear you'll be fine just remember to ride to the conditions.

And If you do a search on netrider you'll find a heap of different routes and write ups on Melbourne to Sydney which might give you ideas on where to stay, but avoid the Hume if you can it's really, really boring.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. G'day and welcome, MychandylMychandyl. Your upcoming trip sounds great. There is a Netrider multi-state meet-up ride planned to reach Jindabyne at the foot of the Snowy Mountains in southern NSW at around the same time (March 12).

There are two main routes from Sydney through the Blue Mountains to Lithgow; via Great Western Highway which is a mixture of 80 and 60 km/h zones through mainly populated areas or via Bells Line Road which comprised of more 80-100 km/h zones through through rural and bush areas. Bells Line Road is the more popular route for motorcyclists. Both routes are fully-sealed and in (generally) good condition - the Great Western Highway is the 'main' route over the mountains (and has been undergoing an upgrade to dual lanes for the last decade or so) while the Bells Line Road is a secondary route. Like most mountain areas, it can be sunny and warm in Sydney and cold and rainy in the Blue Mountains.

The two routes are joined on the western side of the mountains by the Darling Causeway, a ~15-kilometre road between Bell and Mount Victoria. This means you could ride the Bells Line Road, then head across to the Great Western Highway and back to Blackheath, Megalong Valley, Katoomba and Leura where there are plenty of restaurants, caf├ęs and scenic attractions.

Consider also the Putty Road which starts near the Bells Line Road and instead heads north through the Wollemi National Park to the Upper Hunter Valley.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Hello and welcome to NR MychandylMychandyl :happy: I'm too new to riding to offer any advice, especially on long distance. But like you, I love riding and take every opportunity to gain more experience before trying interstate trips. My dream is to try something like this Brisbane to Adelaide on my CB400 hongyi77hongyi77 is my role model (y)

Many girls have done long distance trips, my friend ExportswedeExportswede took few days to ride from Melbourne to Barossa to celebrate her birthday, that was another fantastic and memorable trip! All the best with your ride, looking forward to a write-up and photos. As the local rule here goes, photos, or it didn't happen :whistle:
    • Like Like x 3
  5. welcome aboard :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome to NR...

That's an excellent kilometre count you got there.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome aboard. Melb to Sydney is a hell of a trip with fantastic roads between them whether its coastal or mountains.

If your going coastal on the way up I can highly recommend going up the Bonang Hwy to Bombala, Mt Darrah, Candelo and ending up at Tathra. From Tathra you can take the Princes Hwy all the way to Sydney. Kangaroo Valley is a worthy detour if you have the time before hitting the big smoke. There are two sections of gravel road on the Bonang but both are easily manageable when its dry but could get sketchy in the wet. As mentioned earlier if you ride to the conditions you'll be fine.
    Check this out - https://goo.gl/maps/SLz5w8wa4WM2

Heading into the Blue Mountains I deffo recommend Bells Line Of Road, less traffic and higher speed limits. If youre heading back to Melbourne from here I would recommend heading toward Oberon and making your way to Goulburn from there. Its awesome through that stretch and quite scenic. From Goulburn Head toward Cooma and end up in Jindabyne. From here you can take your pick, every road around area heading south is awesome except for the Hume.
    Check this out - https://goo.gl/maps/6EDYtsQRX1M2

An alternative way to Jindy could be via Crookwell, Grabben Gully, Hume Hwy to Gundagai and then to Tumut.

Good luck and have a great trip.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for those tips everyone! Much appreciated.
    No doubt I'll take loads of photos so will look forward to sharing.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. I'll talk about the Victorian leg. There's no real problem with taking the Princes Highway (1) down the NSW coast but once it crosses the border it becomes deadly dull in Victoria. Between the south coast and Bairnsdale there are alternatives along the more adventurous Bonang Highway from
    delegate to Orbost, or the Monaro. After Bairnsdale the roads north and south of Highway 1 in Gippsland are more interesting but they will add time to the trip - your choice.
    Same with the Hume on the return journey. Great riding over the Snowy Mountains but it will add a lot of hours. The scenic route is Mansfield to Whitfield then Corryong. It'll take a lot longer but the difference is between a soul destroying slog and a memorable experience. Take the appropriate amount of time and enjoy it.
    • Like Like x 2