Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LONCIN LX250-8 ????

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by tomtom44, Dec 10, 2012.

1. http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Motorbikes-ATVs/AdNumber=TP005037384

Is this bike REALLY bad? Or is this price just really cheap? Looks in perfect condition.
    Have never heard of these bikes before so just wondering if anyone here knows about them or has one?
    Looks a bit weird, but other than that not bad.

2. One of the Chinese manufacturers. they have been around for a few years but I think have only started importing here. Build quality and reliability has been a bit hit and miss on the Chinese bikes in general so I would stay away from it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It depends on what you want the bike for.
    If you just want to commute and keep the km off your 'good' bike, the it could be a good move.
    There's a bloke at work who has an Arqin 200. He's been commuting on that for 5 years.
    If it breaks down now and he throws the bike away, it's still cost him less than half the depreciation on my BMW over the same period.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There are quite a few of these knocking around Perth, presumably because we've still got a 250 learner law. I don't have direct experience of them though. However, I did used to park regularly next to a Loncin trail bike. The cosmetics had not stood up well to the WA sun. Plastics were cracking and fading at <4 years old. Most noticeably, whatever clearcoat was used on the paintwork had gone brown all over.

Other Chinese bikes that i've seen up close have hd similar problems, although the brown clearcoat was a new one on me.

So I'd advise that you should only buy one if cosmetics are unimportant to you or if you can keep it under cover and will maintain a strict regime of weekly polishing, followed by the application of some kind of UV blocker.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yes it is that bad do whatever you can to avoid buying one;

1. spend less money so you can save more and buy a better bike
    2. earn more money so you can save more and buy a better bike
    3. get a loan from a bank or financial institution so you can buy a better bike with out having to spend less or save more just pay a few hundy in interest over the course of a year.

seriously. avoid.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. haha, fair enough. Thanks for the info.
    I'm not desperate for a new bike, so no need for loans, just wanna sell mine and buy a cheaper one. Thanks everyone.
  7. Loncin make engines for a number of Chinese companies, and even BMW, so they are certainly capable of reasonable quality if they want. However it's usually standard practice for Chinese companies to ditch quality control in favour of lower prices and higher production, and the fact the Loncin factory spits out a motorcycle every minute suggests they're no different. This doesn't mean the whole bike will fall apart, but the likelihood of an individual component failing is quite high (especially since components are usually sourced from a range of different suppliers).

That particular bike is based on a copy of a 1980s Suzuki GN250 engine, so not exactly modern or high-powered. Considering you're probably looking at another $500 or so for a RWC and Rego (assuming nothing's wrong with it), and the fact it was only $4,000 brand new, and you'd be much better off with either a Honda CBF250 or Yamaha Scorpio. Of course those are also made in developing nations, but at least you'll always be able to get parts/servicing for them.

Chinese cruisers are overpriced simply because of the "prestige" of being a cruiser. This is evident in the fact the LX250-7 uses the same engine in a far more capable naked bike - but is actually cheaper brand new than that used 250-8 you've linked to (they're 3.5k ride away).
  8. Cbf250s need valve clearances done every 10k apparently.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Still an improvement over the Thai-built Honda Shadow, which needs valve clearances done every 4k.

Certainly wasn't suggesting it's better made than a Chinese motorcycle, just easier to get parts for. I think the official importer for Loncin has already changed something like three times already, so you have the problem of whether you go to the company importing them now (who never sold the 250-8), or go to the company who imported the 250-8 (Jianshe) but who no longer has any connection with Loncin.
  10. Damn. So does all that still apply to the LX250-7? Parts will break etc.?

Would I be better off going for a second hand VT250C?
    Like this one for example?
  11. Possibly, but then you could say that about a lot of bikes in the cheap, low-capacity market. Even the Japanese brands have given up on quality in favour of quantity/price, which is why they're outsourcing production to Thailand, Indonesia, Brazil and even China - and quality has certainly suffered as a result.

Some of the issues with early Chinese bikes seem to be easily overcome by simple things such as ensuring bolts are correctly tightened (or loctited in place), and ditching the rubbish Chinese sparkplugs with some decent Japanese NGKs or Densos. But then if you buy a used bike with over 50,000kms like that VT then you may find that also will require a little bit of work to keep going reliably.

Biggest risk with Chinese manufacturers though is being stuck with something for which there is no support. Even if you're not planning on keeping the bike a lack of spares/service will still have a significant impact on resale value. A good example is Kinlon which at one point had a small number of dealers, but now only sells bikes by mail order (so you're on your own when it comes to servicing).
  12. I bought a Loncin LX250-7 (albeit on a whim) recently, and as you've mentioned i'm starting to realise the real lack of support for these bikes :(

A few mechanics who i've taken the bike to either have never heard of this brand, or can't find any sort of parts list for it.
    Most seem pretty confident that they can service it alright (Thankfully) but everyone's told me that it'll probably be an expensive initial service as they trial and error aftermarket parts to see what fits!
  13. no one is a fitter anymore.