Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dan, Jul 5, 2005.

1. wat the, how did it fall off?
  2. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Then the wheels fell off."
  3. My guess is sloppy pit work. The nuts holding the axle clamps to the bottom of the forks have not been done up tightly.

This actually happened to Honda works rider Dennis Neal at Bathurst in 1981. A mechanic forgot to secure the nuts holding the axle clamps in position. It worked well for half a lap, but when Dennis did a huge wheelstand going over the hump in Mountain Straight on the way up the hill, the front wheel simply fell out.

When the bike came down, the front forks dug into the track and cartwheeled the bike and Dennis up the track. He was taken to hospital more dead than alive and the crash effectively ended his great career.
  4. i reckon the best bit was when the wheel fell off :LOL:
  5. He's done it again folks! :LOL:
  6. <snippety>
    If that happened today there would be an inquest, rule changes, speed restrictions, the hump would be bulldozed flat. The mechanic would be phoning his lawyers, along with the team manager, the race organiser, MA, NSW Dept in charge of motor sports, etc etc etc.
    Back then the poor mechanic would have been absolutely devastated by making the mistake, the whole thing put down to a very regrettable, but otherwise part of the risk of racing. I bet the mechanic still has nightmares.

Back to the vid.. he did well to slow down that much, obviously new something was wrong.

Like that old AAMI add.. wheel nuts.... WHEEL NUTS!!