Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Locking up the back brake

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by starlet, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Hello,

I find it quite easy to lock my back brake up and a few times I have been surprised by how little pressure I have placed on it and yet still have it lock up.

Just wanted to know if it's different on a bigger bike? I know this might be a bit hard to answer as every bike is different but generally speaking, is it easier to lock the back brake on a smaller bike than a big bike?

Cheers :)

2. are you also gearing down at the same time?

perhaps it's time to practice throttle blipping.

Also you should be able to adjust the brake pedal so that it doesn't engage too suddenly. ie more free play.

3. Yep, I've been practising gearing down and trying to blip the throttle....it's not very smooth though - need more practice :oops:

When I've locked the back brake I often wonder if I were on a bigger bike whether I would have locked up?

4. Probably not. The CBR125 is a very light bike with very skinny tyres. A disc rear would be fine for a track bike with a skilled rider but is a bit of overkill for newbies. With practice you should be able to get the hang of it though - just remember it's the front brakes that do most of the work (in fact in many cases there's often no need to use the rear at all).

5. Regularly locking the back brake, could also mean that your foot pedal is too high.
    Do you have to raise your foot a little to put it on the pedal?
    If so then it needs adjusting down, so you can ride with your foot comfortably resting on, but not engaging the brake.

But locking the rear can happen on larger bikes once the weight transfer goes onto the front tyre. Cruisers with longer wheelbases have less of a problem with this.

6. Maybe its those quality calipers :wink:

7. Pull the clutch in, then brake.

8. Hmm not sure if you're being sarcastic or what. I do know though that the rear brake on a CBR125 is bigger than that on the 1100 Katana - and that's a bike that weighs twice as much (the Kat has substantially larger front brakes though). Just seems to me like Honda simply fished a brake assembly from the parts bin - rather than actually putting any thought into what would best suit the bike (and target market).

9. +1

10. You're not sure if you're being sarcastic either? :?

Anyway, the rear's pretty lockable on all bikes. I'd personally be more worried about the gearbox which has blown up and spat a few riders off already.

11. I was after some constructive feedback :roll:

Thanks to all who gave me some tips, I'll have a look at whether the foot pedal is too high and see if that could be it. Also, I'll try increasing the percentage of front brake I use - I've heard it should be 80% front and 20% back?

:shock: Where did you hear that from?

12. you could change the material of the pad.

13. i think you will tfind that as it has been said you are tranfering to much weight to the front of the bike when braking and slightly lifting the back so it is barely making contact, greatly reducing the contact patch, meaning as soon as you hit the back brake pedal, there is alot more chance of locking the back

if you do insist on using the back brake as well, ease up on how much front brake you are applying, on a sports orientated bike the rear is more for control then actual braking

14. Just feather the rear brake, at least until you get it under control. Locking up the rear is pretty common newbie fare, but it's dangerous...in fact this is how, together with a worn rear tyre, I laid my bike down just a few weeks after I started riding :oops: :LOL: Get used to the front brake first, learn to trust it, and this won't be a problem :)

15. Two guys at work have mistakenly bought these.

All I can say is you get what you pay for
    Any bike cheaper than my exhaust system.....well...

16. ...well...you overpaid for your bling new tosser zorst! :rofl:

Nah, see where you're coming from, these aren't engineered like the 250RRs.

17. Don't bother even thinking about of it in percentages. Just know that most of your braking comes from the front, and that's what you need to be applying the most. Front brake should be squeezed progressively harder, whilst the back it is better just to have a constant pressure

18. Still nothing constructive.

aV1OonfJ.

I get it, you've got the the best quality bikes and I shouldn't learn how to ride if the 125 is what I'm learning on....oh and silly me to ask a question :roll: Seriously, I've read what you think about them and that's fair enough - your opinion. If I wanted to ask your opinion on the quality of my bike I wouldn't have called the subject "locking up the back brake".
    Also, of course you get what you pay for (anyway, what's your point? I think you just wanted to let everyone know your exhaust system costs more), it's not like I was buying the 125 thinking I'd get a CBR1000rr.
    I needed something cheap to LEARN on hence me asking questions in riding tips not bike suggestions/thoughts! :jerk:

Thanks heaps to the guys that did have something I could learn from, I'll practice those tips today :)

19. #19 Andu, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    the only time I was locking up my rear brake (3 times in the 1 weekend), my front brakes weren't working properly (air in the line), really there was no problem with the rear brake I was just compensating for the lack of front brakes.
    I don't think there is anything with the rear brake on your your brand new bike, so perhaps you're just not squeezing hard enough on your front brakes to do the job.
    Every now and then I like to squeeze the fronts as hard as possible just to remind myself how much front braking power I actually do have (which isn't much on a gs500), so when I get into trouble and really need it, i'll know exactly how much front brake to use.

check out this guy, he even manages some little stoppies on his cbr125 :LOL:
    [media=youtube]r8eFO9PS_ic[/media]

20. Whatever works for you mate.

I have seen the cbr125's first hand and see some of the issues.
    The brake calipers sticking is an issue with the two bikes I have seen at work.
    My comment was based on exactly what I said before.
    You get what you pay for! My exhaust system is not the issue. My point is around the relative cost of things. You can't expect flawless performance from a machine based on the price you paid.

Have fun!