Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Locking my helmet to my bike? Recommendations? Kryptonite?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by petery, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Hi

Years ago (my first time riding in my 20's) I lost my Bell helmet after foolishly trusting the helmet lock under the seat of my old Honda CBX250.

This time around I carry my helmet everywhere for fear that it will go walkabouts again. But there must be an alternative.

The options I have considered are:
    * A Kryptonite (or similar) U-Lock to go through the face of the helmet and then attach to front wheel;
    * Kryptonite NY chain and disc lock combo (NY noose chain I think it's called)
    * Some other sort of chain and lock combo - saw this Abus square link chain on ebay that looks unbreakable, but with a good padlock the total set is $200+

Also I wonder about carrying around the weight involved in a super-chain and lock.

Anyone got any good suggestions for a reasonably secure method of locking a helmet to a bike? I want something good enough that I could leave the bike and helmet overnight somewhere (in public) and come back the next day with the helmet still attached.

Thank you

2. Thanks twistngo - I had forgotten about those Pacsafe bags.

My helmet cost me $700 odd so anything that can be snipped off with some light weight bolt cutters seems a bit risky. Judging by the pics this Pacsafe bag ultimately seems to attach via a fairly light looking steel cable. It's a neat looking set up but I wonder how secure?
  3. At work I leave my lid in my office. Used to leave my lid in a top box on the bike, but haven't had a 'hard box since I bought a gearsack 25 years ago. Never used the helmet lock cause drunks might piss in a lid attached to one.

Always carry it with me at the shops, makes a handy 'carry bag' for small items.
  4. I use one of those heavy plastic covered steel wire locks and a good
    padlock round the top yoke and through my helmet.
    Helmet sits on the front of the tank tucked in to the screen.
    I loop the bit with the padlock round one of the mirrors so it's in clear view.

Nothing will stop a serious thief but I don't think serious thieves would be out looking for a helmet, they have their own and steal yer bike.
  5. Apparently cable is more difficult to cut than chain. My guess is it squashes flat insead of cutting/snapping when attacked by bolt cutters.
  6. Kryptonite will only work against me.
  7. Hopefully Kryptonite has addressed it now, but a few years ago their proprietary ring-shaped lock could be easily picked by jamming a $0.20 pen barrel into it. :p

One would hope that's been fixed though.
  8. damn you joel you ruined my superman joke, well done sir