Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Locating the starter solenoid

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dm_obrien, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Hi,
    My bike isn't starting. After searching previous posts and letting my girlfriend's dad give it a good look over, narrowed it down to 'probably' a solenoid problem.

Basically, it doesn't turn over when pressing the starter, lights dim, no sound at all. It push starts, charged battery, (shows over 12.5ish V), cleaned battery terminals. Applied volataged directly to the starter motor and it turned. (Ok i didn't do this, my gf's dad did, but his wife won't let him have a bike so he can live vicariously through me.)

The problem started suddenly one afternoon, but then it worked for another day or so then wouldn't start at all.

My question is, where is the solenoid located? How do we get to it? How much is this going to cost me to replace? The bike is a Honda CB250.
    Thanks in advance for your replies, I know none of you working folk actually work and spend all day checking this forum, so when I get back from the gym I look foward to reading your answers.

2. They are usually not far from the batterie. Probably underneath.

Knowing japanese designers you will proably have to pull half the bike apart to get to it.

You may be in luck. It may be one of the wires instead.

At a guess, it'd be the wire from your starter button through to the primary on the solenoid. The lack of click seems to indicate this.

Though the lights dimming has me suspicious.

Before you go pulling the bike apart, get a couple of peice of aluminium foil. fold them up and put them between the battery terminal plates and the terminals and screw the connections up tight. Try starting.
  3. To find teh starter solenoid, follow the big wire from the positive terminal. It will be about the size of a film cannister and have two large terminals with nuts on them, and two(or more) spade type push on terminals.

Regards, Andrew.