Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Living with the Triumph Speed Triple R

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Loz, Jun 16, 2015.

1. As many of you know, the current gen Speed Triple R is the best bike in the whole world ever(tm). At least, it was when I reviewed it back in 2011. Now that I have one, I feel free to start sooking about it. So I thought I'd start a thread mainly to whinge about things other owners might have to deal with.

Let's start with the tool kit. It's bog. Here's a list of things you can't do by the side of the road, because they don't give you the tools:
    • Adjust rear suspension preload - there's no c-spanner. Oh, and when you go and get one, you'll find you can't get onto the collars without TAKING THE fcukING EXHAUST OFF
    • Adjust front suspension preload, rebound and compression damping. Yep, you need a ball head allen key to get to the clickers and a 17mm spanner to get to the preload, and you don't get either. Mind you the rear shock compression and rebound are hand adjustable. WTF?
    • Remove the carbon tank cover thing to get to the battery - this requires a torx key. They give you zero torx keys. Good luck digging one of those up next time you need a jump start.
    • If you do find yourself the right torx key, you still can't lift the tank up to get to the airbox or throttle cables. That would take a 10mm socket or spanner. There's no such exotica here.
    These are the tools I've found myself lacking in just my first couple of weeks. I think I'm going to throw the shitty stock kit in the trash and build myself something I can work with. It doesn't help that I've been testing KTMs lately, and the 1190 Adventure has the best on board tool kit I've ever seen.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Let's continue with suspension. The stock suspension settings on the R model's Ohlins forks and shock are truly mysterious to me. For starters, even for a fatass like me, this bike feels a bit oversprung. It must be rock-hard for a skinny rider. You can't wind the rear preload down though, because the standard setting has the adjuster right up against the bottom of the workable range.

Furthermore, with the clickers on standard settings, the bike's weight is heavily biased toward the rear wheel, making it slow and ponderous to turn, and making it feel like it's got a flat tyre. It does make for slightly easier wheelies, but at the expense of the solid handling you need to run away from people who are angry that you just did a wheelie.

I'd like to add preload to the rear, but since a) it's hard to get that firm spring working anyway and b) you can't, without yoinking off the exhaust, I've instead dropped the fork preloads waaaaaay down. Up to this point, the further I have wound them down, the quicker and better the bike has turned. As I get more chances to ride it out in the country I expect to find the bottom of the adjusters before I get it turning like I want it to.

Damping settings are personal and rider weight dependent, but I will say this - I've increased the rebound damping 4 or 5 clicks at both ends, and reduced compression a long way, and it's still not feeling very smooth over bumps. But I'm poking around in the dark when it comes to suspension, so eventually I'll take it to somebody who knows stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IMHO I would rather by an awesome bike with a shit tool kit than vice versa

4. Ditch it and get a S1000r. It has cruise control ya know! Lol

• Like Like x 3
  5. And then there's the fact the Street Triple is faster and better to ride (not to mention 100000x more fun) in almost every situation also....

I got one new in 2011, probably my worst bike purchase considering the price :(

6. It's easier (and quicker) to adjust your own body weight than the rear preload on a lot of bikes.

I've experienced that front preload thing. It's probably a bike-specific thing, but for me less front preload = good.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Are you suggesting that Loz's ample frame should be trimmed? heaven forefend, we'd never recognise him.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. For sure, but I feel like having a sook. These things should be easy and cheap to fix on a bike that costs this much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ... and they are not problems which occur on cheaper bikes.....

It appears, despite the visceral appeal of the engine and the like, that some of the historical (and often hysterical) woes of British engineering have made the migration from Meriden to Hinkley....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. It's been a while since I rode one, but it didn't do much for me. I should go back and have another look. I rode a Daytona 675 the other day and it felt very 'meh' to me - but then I had just jumped off the KTM 1290.

11. Loz, you've covered what's not included with the tool kit, hows about a pic / rundown of what you do get.

Also, this new tool kit of yours, is there enough room under the seat to house such a beast? Can you give us a rundown of storage space for the bike?

My CB400 fits my toolkit, puncture kit and bike pump under the seat without issue. (as an example)

Cheers
    Juz

12. Hey LozLoz - should'a bought a used postie bike man. You can access and fix everything with a low-end swiss army knife (tool issue fixed), probably (?) has no suspension adjustment (suspension issues fixed), and its easy to wheelie (even if not enough power you just lift it up and walk it along wheelie-ing), and you could'a got about, um, 7 of them (?) for the price of the Speed T. So colour coded to your undies for each day of the week.

:D

13. I test rode a Speed Tripple when I was shopping for a new bike in 2012, I bought the Z1000 because I liked it better than the other bikes I test rode including the ST. No such issues as you describe with the Z1000. Goes great, handles great, stops great and looks awesome, what else could you ask for?

• Like Like x 1
  14. SuYhiuT.
    There it is - two screwdrivers, one hex key, a fuse puller and while you can't see it, there's a big weird c-spanner to adjust the chain tensioner - which doesn't fit the shock preload collar.

Room under the seat isn't bad - I've already thrown in a couple of multi-tools, some spanners, hex and torx keys, tyre repair kit and a rag - most of the stuff I used to carry on my FZS1000. It's better than a sportsbike, anyway.

15. Yeah I rode a couple of those but not for long enough to get a real feel for them. They seem like a pretty decent thing.

16. Are you going to fit an air horn to it that plays your magnificent 7-tone symphony?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Probably not, ya know, my arse might get jealous.

18. Don't talk to me about dodgey boingers.....

I've got an MT09.....

Suck it up princess. "Ohlins" pffffttttt.....

19. Make the effort to get that rear preload up. You will likely find it will actually soften the shock because it has a larger gas gap. Then you can wind the preload on the front up a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I had an 08 speed triple and overall it was a good bike, lots to like about it. The biggest negative for me was the clunky gearbox. Have they smoothed out the shifting on the more recent models? I ride a diavel these days and the biggest complaint I have about it is the indicator switch is rubbish... not much of a complaint really :)