Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lithium Ion Batteries?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Havachat, Jan 15, 2013.

1. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the above batteries and any opinions on whether they are worth the extra money.

Thanks in advance

2. havent tried them but they're a LOT smaller and lighter... i know on the RSV4 Carbon edition the weight saving in the L-ion battery was more than all the carbon panels combined.

meant to hold charge better and be less prone to vibration damage so last better too....

3. I had one on my GS. Heaps better that the acid one.

4.  Top
  5. About 10 months ago I needed a new battery for my BMW, and I got the Shorai Li recommendation for my BM.

It wasn't too expensive, due to exchange rates and internet buying.

It was SO much lighter than standard, that I then bought one for my Triumph, too.

They haven't given me a moments trouble so far, including a three month break when I was O/S.

I disconnected the batteries before leaving, reconnected then when I got home and everything just fired up sweet as.

Obviously, I can't speak to longevity, but... so far, so good.

6. I've started using a Shorai for my BSA. Only about 2 months so far. At under half the size of the old one, it gives me a nice little space for more tools, and it always seems to have a great charge. Mind you, it gets ridden daily, so I'd expect that of any battery. But lights are brighter from when I start the bike each time, and if I need to leave the bike for a couple of weeks it's good to know it won't have lost any noticable charge. This is really handy on a bike that doesn't like charging under 4000 rpm. It also means that I can use lower revs (but not lugging) when I want to be quieter at night and not worry about a thing.

It's a quality product. Time will of course tell if it's worth it, but so far I'm very happy.

7. Thanks to all who have replied - I'll have to do more research and see how it goes.
    As those who have an R bike know, the ABS computer does not like any voltage drop during startup.

8. I was going to get lithium polymer, which I suspect is what you meant. Doing the research same as you I saw a few reviews and a good tube vid that showed it just can't handle big power draw - ie starting - for more than a few turns before they are boiling off electrolyte.
    I stuck with a good AGM from Motorbatt.

Found the kinky to tube.

9. I'm guessing not. Li-polymer batteries are based on the same Lithium-Manganese/Cobalt chemistry as your standard laptop/mobile phone batteries.

The lithium batteries for bikes however are based on a Lithium-Iron-Phosphate chemistry, and are a very different thing. Only real downside is cost, and the fact they don't like low temperatures.

10. I stand corrected, most times I've seen them referenced was as LiPe lol. Still leaves the same issue I referenced though, which several reviews spoke of in real world use.

• Like Like x 1