Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Listening to music while riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by davison, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Hey guys,
    I havent gotten a bike yet, let alone my licence.. ive booked them in for next week and very excited.

One thing i was curious about is whether people listen to music while riding.. with an ipod for example. Or is this generally too distracting.
    Cheers

2. you may have already done a [​IMG] Search for the many previous topics on the subject.

if so,
    you will get better results if you [​IMG] Search for; music while riding
    and select the option (x) Search for all terms

3. i'm still learning all the basic's so i'm trying to keep away from listening to music, but i know alot of people that play there ipods on random shuffle while cruzing around, though if it plays a shit song you stuck with it lol

4. I ride with music all the time, it is distracting if you have it too loud I believe. What I do is keep it at a volume that I can only hear when im stopped, or going really slow

5. I don't. I like being in the bike environment and the growl that goes with it :)

Plus instructors always say biking is a very audible thing, listening to the revs to know when to change, hearing cars around you before you may see them etc.

6. In summary of all the previous threads on music while riding:

- Some people do, some people don't. To each their own.
    - Avoid it while getting to know the bike, listening to the bike helps a lot.
    - Make sure if you listen to music you're not putting your hearing at risk when it comes to other noises (especially wind noises) at high speeds (look at canal ear phones that block out wind noise or the custom-moulded ear plugs that have speakers in them).

Music helps relieve the boredom of certain roads...especially the Hume. :music:

7. I listen to music sometimes. But its a very personal thing.

I actually disagree that hearing has much to do with motorcycling - it is almost all visual. I can't remember a time I "heard" someone trying to cut me off.

Each to their own.

8. Normally always listen to MP3 player when riding. Better than the constant storm inside my lid.

9. won't rule it out for the future cos im still new to my bike, but I still prefer to listen to the engine cos it sounds so sweet!

I would certainly go deaf if I had music playing louder than the noise from my engine... I would think for a fast ride in the bends music could be a bad choice given the extra concentration needed

10. +1 :grin:

11. If you do any amount of distance, you'll start to wish you had one in your ears. Around traffic I don't use music, but on the highway, I use my mp3 with silicon earbuds, nice music (not too loud) and the slicon acts as earplugs!

No gettin off the bike after a 4 hour trip and not being able to hear due to the buffing!

12. It seems pretty stoopid to me. Wind noise = x dB. Music to be audible over the wind noise needs to be x + 20-30dB, or something, right?

Unless x is <60, that means music is hitting damaging levels.

13. Unless headphones = canalphones. Then wind noise = x dB, wind noise with canalphones = x-30(+) dB and music is easy to hear at volume < x.

;)

Most canalphones offer some level of isolation - some models are better than others. Regardless, you should be using earplugs if you aren't using headphones anyway. Unless of course you don't really care about your hearing.

14. I have some ER-4S. I don't know whether I could/would want to try and get them into my ears inside my helmet o_O I have a hard enough time removing a t-shirt with them in, and my helmet is quite a squeeze.

15. Get some canal phones - I use very low volume so I can still hear the motor and some other road noise, but get my own choice of music whilst riding.

The canal phones also do a decent job of cutting down wind noise even without music.

I also wear a balaclava - helps keep the 'phones in position whilst taking the helmet on/off, and also cuts down on throat rub from helmet/jacket interface....whilst performing the ever-important head checks....