Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Liquid Patch - opinions?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by mattb, Jul 16, 2007.

1. In the past three weeks I've had a puncture to both the front, and then the rear, tube of the tyres on my SR. Combining shop labour and the cost of a tube and tyre foam, that's $60 each time this is happening (when the front deflated I learnt a sore lesson about the miseries of trying to change a tyre by hand!). While in Autobarn to get more foam, I came across this product. Has anybody any thoughts on, or experiences of, it? I always replace a punctured tube with a new one, and that same safety concern applies to any products like this that I would try. But if it is sound it would be a god-send in a world where every screw and nail seems aimed at my tyres!

Liquid Patch
    "Liquid Patch is a fibre based puncture sealant, which immediately & permanently protects both tube & tubeless tyres against punctures in the tread area up to 6mm in diameter. Liquid Patch repairs punctures from the inside out. When a tyre is punctured escaping air forces the sealant to the puncture site and repairs the leak creating a Liquid Patch. Some of the liquid will go through the hole to the outside of the tyre. When Liquid Patch is exposed to air, it dries and causes a permanent seal. Liquid Patch is easily installed through the tyre valve. It takes less than a few minutes per tyre. As the tyre rotates, the centrifugal forces spreads the liquid evenly over the inside casing. The tyre is now protected against punctures."

2. They sell it in 4wd stores, and aparently it works.
    one thing i'd be worried about on a bike is throwing the balance out, consequences (and steering feed back) are much more important on a bike.
  3. Why don't you just get a patch on the inner tube or a plug on the tyre (are plugs legal on bikes?) instead of a complete replacement of the tube??
  4. I cannot say if this applies to this particular product, but I had to replace 2 alloy wheels recently :( because the tyre people had used a liquid balancing product which eat into the alloy of the wheel. It ended up pitting the alloy in the rim.
  5. Thanks for the response. The main reason I get a new tube is because I've been recommended to do so, as a safety matter, given the cost of a new tube (besides, if you fill the tube with foam filler to get the bike to the shop, you need to replace it), and I just won't replace a tyre by hand again - it's too much work, too risky (balance, damaging the tube etc) - which means I'd have to pay the mechanic to patch it. If we're talking about the same thing, the tyre plug won't help a pierced tube :( (Life is easier with tubeless tyres).
  6. My brother used to use a product called prevent a flat in his IT 250 about 20 years ago and it worked ok. I have seen a simular product sold as an aftermarket accessorie and we used to get alot of cars come back with punctures. This stuff was anightmare to clean off the rim and out of the tyre. I would just stick with a product like Holts tyre weld and use it when it is needed.
  7. I used a can of Finelec on the babyblade on a ride to Arthurs Seat.
    Copped a puncture before we got there, used the can, it sealed the tyre. Rode to the top of Arthurs Seat, parked had lunch, checked the tyre pressure after 1 hour, all good, rode home, had the tyre replaced the following day. That was puncture #3 for that tyre.
  8. I know this is an old post but I was just wondering if theres any update on the liquid patch. Anyone here used it yet. I saw on youtube this rhinotire. Looks the same.