Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Linux] Need help with a twisted external display issue

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by TheRuss, Apr 24, 2011.

1. OK.... I haven't had tooooo much of a play around with this because I'm in a little beyond my depth.

Background:
    I have an EEEPC 901 with stock Xandros OS that I wanted to connect to my TV's VGA port. Plugged it in, didn't work (TV says 'Mode Not Supported'). Turns out default xorg.conf only allowed max virtual screen of 1024x768. Upped this to 2048x2048 (hardware max according to the guide I was following), restarted and successfully found the 1920x1080 mode that the TV likes. Applied it via xrandr commands in the terminal and I now have display on my TV.

Problem:
    Although the eee seems/claims to be putting out 1920x1080 the TV (Samsung LA46A650) is accepting/running 1280x1024@60Hz. The end result is that I have a 1920x1080 virtual 'screen' of which I can only see 1280x1024 pixels with the bottom and both sides chopped (i.e. TV is displaying the top-middle of the 'screen')

I can't seem to resize the TV image significantly enough to get the whole screen displayed, and was unable to set the display position to negative coordinates. EEEPC is running RandR v1.2, so I can't use panning or scaling either.

I thought about creating a new 'mode' manually and attempting to apply that, but I really wouldn't know what to change that might be valid so didn't get far.

Short of putting up with it or finally rebuilding it with a real OS.... anyone got ideas please? :-k

Update: By the way.... yes I tried to use the 1280x1024 output mode (and others) but the TV rejected it... only seems to like the 1920x1080 mode for some reason.

2. Have you turned off the overscan function on your TV? Tried some third party drivers for your video hardware?

3. arr, yes, Windows 7, for example, senses the type and resolution capabilities of a screen plugged into the VGA port and adjusts automatically....

My only disclaimer, having reset a Linux netbook to XP a couple of years ago, is that there may be no drivers available for it if you change over....

4.  Top
  5. I'd say it's more like that manufacturers send MS their products resolutions/other various stats due to MS being 'big' rather than Windows having 'magic' capabilities. Also I've seen smaller name companies screens/projectors/etc devices not be displayed properly, probably due to MS not having the products statistics 'on file'

6. Cheers guys for the responses.

I'd never even consider putting windows on such a low end machine, when referencing a real OS I was more so leaning to the likes of Ubuntu Netbook or something (from the brief reviews I've scanned over).

Anyway, the long weekend is over now so my g33k time will be overtaken by daddy duty again in the evenings. I'll have a closer look at the TV settings (but couldn't find anything the other day before posting) and i THINK my XP lappy has correctly output full screen on this panel before so I should find a solution eventually. It was easy enough for the short term just to resize my VNC/FF/Terminal windows to fit the TV and keep playing.

Ant, I lazily posted here first because I'd just been reading the 'Which OS..' thread and was impressed by the number of potential guru's available ;) Thanks for the link though!! I might have a trawl around there during any spare time I find at work.

....for now I'm mucking around with something much more interesting - plotting the lat/long points that my iPhone has been quietly logging in Google Earth :)

7. Ah yes, glad to see you consider linux a real OS :)

8. The Xandros that ASUS cooked up was pretty terrible. Give the Ubuntu netbook remix a shot, its quite nice. If you don't like the DE you can always install the ubuntu-desktop package.

9. I don't know why it only displays the lower resolution when you set it to 1920 x 1080, but my new Panasonic TV only displays a max of 1366 x 768 through the VGA/D-sub connection (as the manual states), but does 1920 x 1080 (and sound) via a HDMI cable from the PC from the DVI socket with an adaptor that came with the card.

Windows XP (MCE) seems to mostly detect the TV and the particular input with an HDMI in, and adjusts accordingly (but some games don't stay with the desktop resolution), but seemed to do a less better job when running through the VGA connection. Maybe the the digital DVI>HDMI talks with what's on the other end better than the analogue route, which might be a dumber standard (although it seemed to work fine with a few dedicated PC monitors in the past - but maybe the TV side of things is more camel-like political.