Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lil needs help.....again *sigh*

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by lil, Jun 13, 2005.

1. For those of you who have ever followed me on a ride, you may have noticed that I often move my mirrors around. Thats because they are really loose at the screw attachment (stalk to fairing). Any how, I thought I'd fix the problem and used a locktight thread glue thing to stop them moving. I can highly recommend the product....it works really well :? I can't move my mirrors! :roll: Now I can't lane split as easily cos I can't move my mirrors in for the tight spots :cry: .

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to fix this problem. The product is Champion Thread Lock (TL262) Anaerobic Adhesive and I think the active ingredient is Dimethacrylate Ester.

:D :D :D
  2. Lil,

Look at the mannufacturer website for a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) they usually have on there a way to reverse the effect of what you have used... :)

3. lil, don't worry about those tight spots, just kick your rego tag over you plate and smash your way through them. oh and don't forget to give them the birdy as you ride away, serves those cage drivers right for not leaving enough space :LOL:
  4. You can always do what I did and get mega small mirrors, I think my legs would hit before them now, and then you would not have to move them every time you go between 2 trucks

as for your problem why not use that product on a bolt and nut you don’t need and try a few products in your house like paint thinners, wd40 and what ever else tickles your fancy, if it works then you can try it on your mirrors
  5. Hehe....Insano, I like the idea, but, believe it or not, I *am* a nice girl!

I tried to google the product, and the Champion site is under construction (I get the feeling it has been for a while), so I might have to give them a call tomorrow.

I also can't pull up any MSDS for the product either :?

6. ok i must know 2 lils then,i like the other one better too
  7. Can you get the mirror assembly off the fairing? If you can then hit the bolt with your hairdrier (heat that is) Can't remember what temp it breaks down at but heat will definately do it. Carefull of any glass or plastic though
  8. Thread Lockers are a godsend for bolts that will be put under lots of vibration, over the years I have personally used much of the stuff for bolt on automotive performance parts with great results.

Thread Lockers are allot like Tattoos, make sure its what you want long term or else removal will never be painless or get you back to its pre original state.

As stated in this thread Heat is the only remedy to reverse Thread Lockers, however hair driers and the like don’t pump out that much heat or concentrate it to a small point, for Locktite blue try direct contact to any part of the bolt with a high temp soldering iron tip, for Locktite red best way is to use something serious like an acetylene torch.

Good luck.
  9. It actually looks like peroxide may do the job. I'll borrow some from my mother (who happens to have some witha dropper :D ) and try it the VERY slow and careful way. I'll let you all know how it goes.

10. u could always smash through some cars to loosen them up a little :D
  11. Yup, that would be my recommendation...good luck with it :)
  12. In the MSDSs that I looked at, it listed heat required as 149deg....I'm not sure if that was destruction of the product or if that was just a start of change to chemical property.

13. If you need to adjust them frequently, why don't you try some small blind spot mirrors on your bike?
  14. I have these. They are especially useful on long hauls. Save some repetitive strain off the neck muscles. However, I don't rely on the all the time. :)
  15. I am quite lucky, my Duke has the blind spot mirror built into the actual mirror. at the end is a line in the mirror and the reflector on the outside of this is a blind spot version. Works ok but no where good enough not to head check.
  16. Thread lock compounds are cynoacrylates, similar to super-glue. I've had somes sucess with acetone. Just be careful of the fumes and try not to spill it on the fairing...
  17. Lil, sent you a PM, hope it helps.
  18. freezing it can also work well if at all possible.

have deone it on threaded bolts before.

because the bolt and the "glue" have differenct thermal coefficient they react differently to temperature. Freezing them can cause the glue substance to contract more than the bolt and thereby break the grip.
  19. of course if you can't take it off the bike..its a bithard to try unless you know someone who doesen't mind a bike in their meat freezer for a few hours. :)