Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Like it or loathe it...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hornet, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ..it's got people talking

2. I don't mind the look of them Paul, and actually see them as a neccessity. They are a great idea for:
    - those who want to upgrade from a small scooter
    - small petite riders who are after something light and underpowered.
    - those who commute short distances and are after max fuel savings
    If my wife ever wanted to start riding, I'd probably suggest one of these.
    ... actually, I lie. I'd rather see her on a CB250, Spada or Hornet. :p

For whatever reason you decide on a CBR125, If it serves the purpose, and you are happy and comfy riding it, then it's a GREAT bike.

PS: WTF ?? 4.am :shock: Dont you sleep mate? :LOL:
  3. Who cares what size it is, long as one enjoys riding!

Who's the REAL biker here:
    1) CBR125 rider: commutes daily, plus weekend rides to whoogwhoog
    2) XXX1250: "Ooh, spot of rain/A bit cold today, I'll hop onto my cage/catch the train ..."
  4. That's exactly what my wife says to me each night. :?
  5. You can bet that Honda did a LOT of market research before bring this bike to the market, and it obviously is selling. But you're right; horses for courses, and for us who neither want or have to ride a smaller machine, it's easy to find fault. It IS Britain's #1 selling motorcycle (aided by their learner laws) and as long as you're not comparing it with something at least twice its size to begin with, has its merits.

Its low price DOES mean that resale will probably be around a packet of crisps and a schooner, however :LOL:.
  6. :LOL:
    make mine a guinness
  7. I'm fully in favour of small, light, modestly powered bikes because I believe that's all that most people need and even those who 'need' more would often find them a useful supplement for their larger bike.

However my beef with CBR125 is that far from being 'cheap as chips', for what it is and what it costs Honda to manufacture it is actually grossly overpriced on our market. (just find out how much they sell for in Asian countries if you think you're getting a good deal)
  8. The thing that really amuses me is the way that the majority of riders of larger bikes -(600cc+) trumpet the fact that they need the capacity to cover the longer distances required by the "Australian conditions" we live in.
    Now go have a look at bikepoint/bikesales/Motorcycle trader etc etc & check out the km's travelled by most of these larger capacity bikes for sale :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  9. That market research probably consisting of the realisation that if people were noob enough to pay $7-8,000 on a dodgy grey import CBR250RR, they could easily be convinced to buy a CBR125.

Edit: Oh and in response to the post above I've toured extensively on a 250, I've even toured on a 175. There's a good reason why I now have a 750.
  10. To quote Sally Field in "Smoky and the Bandit", Andrew, 'Mr Bandit, you have a lyrical way of cutting through the bullshit' :LOL:.
  11. She never says that to me :LOL:
  12. Yep, commuting really racks up the kilometres........
    Until you have ridden a large bike a longer distance, you really can't make that call.
    The larger bike and engine, whilst not such a huge performance advantage, poos significantly on a smaller bike in many areas.
    Torque is the big one, the ability to pull that big hill in firth or sixth, instead of a flurry of banging on the shifter and clutch, or punching into aheadwind with just a slight trickle of more throttle.
    Of course, throw 40kgs of gear on the back, and your torque comes in useful yet again.
    The other advantage of a larger bike is the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass. The suspension/wheel components(unsprung weight) don't go up in weight much, but the bike itself does(sprung weight) which naturally gives a far superior ride, even with a stiff suspension.
    Frankly, comparing a CBR 125/250 to a Blackbird, BMW, VFR,GTR etc for touring is like comparing a Mini Moke and a Fairmont V8. Sure you can do it, but you have to have no other option for it to make sense.

Your logic about larger bikes for Australian conditions only being bullshit is fatally flawed, go do some research, and tell us which two markets are the largest in Eurpoe. I am sure you'll come back with small commuters around town AND LARGE CAPACITY TOURERS are a close second.........
    It's all very nice to defend your purchase/mistake, but please don't try and tell us it is THE bike for all seasons, it is not, and we all know better.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. The other Andrew has a fair point, Andrew, lots of big bikes get sold with very low mileage considering the purpose for which they are supposed to be purchased.

And as far as long trips are concerned, the other Andrew is an exponent on the 'toothbrush and one pair of undies' school, flogging RVF400s and the like from Brisbane to Geelong on every back road available, just for the fun of it....
  14. I am sure the large bikes get used for what they were purchased for, probably ONLY that, which is why the kilometres are low.
    I know several on teh GTR forums who take the bikes out for a weekend once a month, and possibly look down on me for using my bike almost daily.....in traffic! :eek:hno:
    What I am saying is, the big bikes are more likely to put 1000kms+ on the odometers at a time, the smaller bikes 25/50kms a day. I don't think teh odometer reading is a decent representation of what the bike has done.
    I also know it is very common in Europe to commute a few towns over on a tourer daily for work. My point was that larger bikes are not just a US/Aus penis extension, they have their place, just as small bikes do.
    I just can't fathom why owners of small bikes get so cut up when someone suggests they can't do EVERYTHING as well as another style of bike.
    For what it's worth, the GTR will carve up trafic just as well as any of the 250's I have overtaken doing so here in Canberra, and also when I was in Newcastle, it just takes a little more skill and forethought.

Regards, Andrew.
  15. I think I may qualify on that score -seeing as I own the 750 version of the 400 as well :grin: :grin: But I still chose the 400 for the trip from Brisbane Paul is talking about, as well as the 9500kms in 4 weeks hooning all over New Zealand with a toothbrush & pair of undies as Paul so eloquently describes it :LOL: :LOL: Why? Because I ride for FUN. Wide eyed white knuckle spit dribbling FUN. Something I find sadly lacking on the average clinicaly efficient, insulated from the elements touring bike :grin: :grin:
    Oh -and by the way I wasn't really hanging it on touring bikes. If that helps you feel any better :LOL: :LOL:
  16. Heh, I wouldn't call a GTR clinically efficient, that sounds like a BMW trait!
    The GTR is the tourer with soul.

Regards, Andrew.