Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LightMode Electron Kit!

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by davidk, Dec 9, 2015.

1. I found this online :)

" Up your coolness quotient by transforming your old motorcycle helmet into a glowing bonnet of beauty. Launched via a Kickstarter campaign that surpassed its funding target in just eight hours, the LightMode Electron Kit is a battery-operated, budget-friendly way to enhance your two-wheeled image – even if you’re riding a rickety old moped on a cross-country jaunt across Africa. The user-friendly kit comes with all the required paraphernalia – including that all-important electroluminescent material – for a do-it-yourself makeover that turns your headgear into a glimmering light show. Even better: it also enhances your night-time visibility."

Attached Files:

2. Don't know if I'd wear it but would be interested in the legality of fitting it to a helmet in Australia.
  3. Don’t waste your time or money on this product. Fragile prototype, misleading promotional video, bad customer service and dodgy shipping. Wish I’d never seen this thing.

I bought a kit after watching the 1 minute promotional video on Kickstarter. The shipping to Australia was almost half the cost of the kit. I spent a few hours installing the kit only to find when I finally finished all the gluing, the neon tape and wire didn’t work (I had tested before starting installation). I contacted Lightmode support and they told me I’d watched the wrong instructional video and missed the first step which involved gluing the lead wires to the helmet before gluing any other part of the wires. The weak quality of this part of the wires meant the kit was particularly fragile and could easily break if stretched. I had watched the instructional video on their kickstarter page but this was apparently just a promotional video and not to be used for installation. Kind of false marketing it seems. Don’t show a quick installation video when in reality it takes a few hours and you have to be really careful because of the weak quality of the kit.

As I still wanted the lightmode kit and I had glue/wires all over my Shark Raw helmet I agreed to buy some replacement parts to try to fix the issue. Again – shipping to Australia meant the replacement parts were pretty much the same price as the new kit. After 3 weeks the replacement parts didn’t show up. I questioned this and Lightmode support told me it was my fault for not selecting the secure delivery option. Bearing in mind I’d already paid them over $30 in shipping charges, I was pretty disappointed with this response. Lightmode support stated that my ‘missing’ shipment would not be refunded for unless it was returned to them by their shipping company. I checked my local post office and mail depot – neither had any record of failed deliveries to my work address. Lightmode support seemed to be suggesting that I was lying and just trying to either get another free kit or my money back. Lightmode chose which delivery company to use – they shouldn’t offer an unsecure delivery option if they’re not confident the product will be delivered, that’s not my fault – it’s theirs.

Finally, Lightmode support have suggested I buy a third kit to complete the installation. With the 50% delivery success rate and fragile nature of the product I had to draw the line somewhere. Pretty gutted as it looked like a cool product but in the end I’m down $160 and my badass Shark Raw helmet looks like a piece of shit. Great work Lightmode.

Don’t waste your time here – cool concept, but you might as well wait for a proper company to release a reliable version that has a delivery success rate of over 50%. Shame.
    • Informative Informative x 2