Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lightbulbs keep dying

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by AlbieQ, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Firstly let me start off by saying I hope this Q is in the right place...If not, sorry, and mods feel free to move it as you see fit.

So as the title suggests my lightbulbs keep dying for some reason. Within the last 6 months or so I've had to change about 4 bulbs (2 on the highbeam - which I hardly even use), and just today number 5 blew out. I've asked some people at the bike stores and they reckon a bulb should last about 300hrs of use - which I'm not getting anywhere near. I've checked and double checked that I'm using the right types (H7) and making sure I'm not touching the bulb itself whilst I'm installing it but yeh clearly that hasn't worked.

I know this isn't a big deal or anything but its getting quite annoying. Does anyone else here have any ideas what maybe going on?

2. Is it a Honda? If your regulator is fried, that kind of thing can happen.
  3. could be your wiring is thicker thenit should be and allowing more tehn normal power going thru hence 'cooking' it, or maybe the fuse you have is doing similar to wiring line above? other then that others will chip in.
    Globes blow due to being over worked or old age [life execpectancy]
  4. +1 regulator. If you have access to a multimeter, check your voltages with the bike runnning. Voltage when running should be somewhere between 13.5 -14.5 volts. If its higher then you have found the problem. Sorry Goddie, but thickness of wire or a fuse is not going to let more power through and cause the globe to blow. These things will allow a circuit to draw more current but thats not the problem here.
  5. +1 to Ultrum, high voltage is a killer for light globes. Multimeter, check voltage while reving the motor not at idle.
  6. you rang? :bolt:
  7. Did you remember to feed them? A small sprinkling of flakes every day or two is all they need.
  8. LOL @Bulby..... You getting blown too often too ?... :eek:
  9. No such thing as too often.
  10. If you have a larger then recommended fuse that would allow more power thru ?? just a thought.. But I get the regulator bit too..
  11. ^ man speaks gospel :D
  12. Ok so the voltage thing sounds interesting and I'll see what I can do about trying to get a check on that (are these multimeter things $$$?).

Just a follow up Q. too, how or what would've changed the voltage to make it run higher than normal? I haven't touched or fiddled with the battery at all and I'm pretty sure my mechanic wouldn't have screwed it up when I took it in for service. And @bulby, sorry for my treatment of your relatives haha.

13. Multimeter.... $10 at jaycar. (or dick smith. Etc)

The regulator controls the voltage being supplied to your battery and your bike from the alternator... Also it converts AC to DC.

My reg went on my cb600, took out the lights and ended up overcharging the battery to the point it swelled up like a balloon...

Read ur service manual and check what voltages you should be reading and test them with the multimeter, if you're not sure how to use a multimeter, there's a million videos on YouTube.
  14. Well they are just another electronic device and over time they can fail for any number of reasons. The most likely cause for failure is heat, they run hot in normal operations but can overheat. Another possiblity is moisture but this is less likely.

If the bike is new, it may be a warranty job. You haven't mentioned make/model
  15. Yeh sorry about that guys, bike is a good old 2009 ninja 250 :). Warranty's expired but thats cool. Looking forward to poking around and learning/figuring out the inner workings of a bike - prep me for when I finally get off my Ps haha.
  16. They're an invaluable tool, too, so it's definitely worth having one.
  17. My Triumph used to blow headlight bulbs very regularly ,i used to buy cheapish ones from Supercheap & they used to last about 6 months.
    Now i get bulbs from Auto one & there made in Germany & so far [knock on wood] going strong for over 2.5 years.
    Paid twice as much but worth it!