Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Light bar installation on a cruiser - Melb

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Bluesuede, May 10, 2007.

1. I bought myself a nice Cobra light bar from the US for my bike and had it shipped over, saving myself a bundle on local prices. It looks like this:

Anyway, I don't really like doing anything electrical myself, so I wanted my dealer to fit it for me at my service next week. Basically they chucked a fit about it, and whilst they didn't know specifically about the Cobra ones, said they are in general a hassle to install, and there are issues with waterproofing as the indicators end up mounted hanging down (this isn't because it isn't the "genuine" Yamaha one - they said they are just as bad) and as a result can end up shorting out the whole system, and, well, basically indicated they weren't prepared to do it. They said you really need to drill holes in the indicators to make sure they drain. Hmmm.

The actual hardware side of it looks like it is straightforward - unbolt the indicators, take off the existing bar, screw on the new lightbar, screw on indicators to the bottom of the bar. Maybe their reluctance is partly due to the fact I didn't buy a set through them?

Anyway, my questions are pretty much this: light bars aren't that uncommon on cruisers, are an optional accessory on most, and come fitted as standard on some of the touring cruiser configurations - are they really that much of an issue? They seem to mostly be the same configuration with the indicators ending up mounted hanging down. Also surely if I'm paying someone to install something, they should do it - after all, if its fiddly and takes time it just means more $$$ for them, right? And lastly assuming they refuse to do it, does anyone know somewhere I could get it done? I want a decent job done on it!

Thanks guys.
  2. I'm sure the shop woudn't biatch about it unless it actually was an issue.
    Remember they don't know you have a part which will actually fit,
    many aftermarket parts are difficult to fit or just plain wrong.

Yes you would pay them, so they will want your money. That means that if they are bitching, the problem is probably real. And every person has the right to refuse to work for you if they think the job ain't worth it.

If you reckon its so straightforward, why don't you do it?
  3. Kinda missed the point there. They were complaining about the type of accessory not the brand of aftermarket part. As I said, they made the same comments in general - including about the "genuine" Yamaha ones. It's not an issue as to whether they fit, they just don't believe the design of light bars works, full stop. Bear in mind that these are often fitted as standard on the touring spec cruisers. I'm asking for opinions from those that have them installed whether they are a genuine issue, whether downward indicator mounts collect water and create shortouts.

If you'd read the full sentence I wrote rather than quoting part of it you would see I said the hardware side of the installation seems straightforward and I'd previously stated I'm not keen on doing the electrical work myself. I'm quite happy to bolt them on but they won't work too well without any power :grin:
  4. You can do what I did and installed the hardware side of things and ask the dealer to conect the wireing up for me when they did the service...easy

But I aggree with the water thing...but my dealer just placed some silcon around the seals and it never leaked. Now I need to save up to get another one for my current bike, or design one myself.
  5. Yeah that's probably a good idea, and will also cut down on the installation cost. I can always silicone them up myself too :)
  6. Trick we used to do with sports cars.

Heat up a paper clip, and make a small hole at the base of the lens.

Any condensation will drain, without making any real issues about water getting in.
  7. I wouldn't be putting holes in the indicators, because if you have been using them on a rainy day, and they are warm, when they cool they could suck in moisture. Just seal 'em up, preferably on a warm, dry day, or after blowing the inside out with a hairdryer.

As you are putting more powerful lights on the bike (I assume higher watts, not just HID or some other brighter but less energy hungry lights), then you will need to consider the power draw through the wiring loom and lights fuse. The usual idea with higher power items is to put in a relay run directly off the battery, with its own fuse. The light switches activate the relay, and hence turn on your new lights.

You may need an autoelectrician to work out if this is necessary. Find an autoelectrician that understands bike. Fit the hardware yourself, after finding instructions on where best to run the wiring, so it doesn't have to be redone by the sparky. Good luck.
  8. Well I took the bike in this morning to the dealer to get it serviced and hopefully get the light bar installed. Took out all the bits and gave them to them...and they said "Oh this looks MUCH better than the stupid Yamaha ones, shouldn't be much of a problem. :rofl:

Ah well, will see how we go :)
  9. So I have my bike back now, and the light bar was installed :grin:

They didn't have to drill holes or do anything additional to the actual standard installation - they said the design of the Cobra model was such that it isn't going to be possible for the water to drain into the indicators at all. They have nothing good to say about the Yamaha "genuine" ones though :LOL: Anyway, they fitted them without an issue, so all's good and I'm really happy with them. I have a feeling they are going to come in handy this weekend.

So anyone who is considering getting a light bar installed on a cruiser, I'd have to recommend the Cobra ones as the one to buy! :)
  10. Great stuff Bluesuede. How much was the bar? How much to get it installed?
  11. I bought the lightbar from the US for US$233.95 - which given the state of our dollar works out to be about AUD$281.11. Compare that to buying locally - zpower.com.au sell it for $699.95

Of course you have to factor in delivery costs - can't tell you how much that is as I had a sissybar, backrest and luggage rack sent at the same time.

Not sure the exact cost of fitting as I had it done during my service, and also had the sissy bar, luggage rack etc fitted as well as getting my new GPS wired in, and I just got an overall labour charge for everything without any breakdown. But they said it was actually pretty straightforward, so it shouldn't cost too much. They said the sissy bar was the biggest b!tch to fit :LOL:

And really, you could probably do it yourself, I'm just too chicken to start messing with installing these things on my bike in case I fcuked it up :LOL: