Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lifting bike for servicing

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by powerd, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Hi all

I have a 96 CBR600F3 with a Megacycle pipe on it. I want to do my own maintenance on it, but without a centrestand, some taks are difficult.

Can it be jacked (carefully) under the pipes? Repco is advertising this bike lift cheaply - see
    http://catalogues.repco.com.au/port...eID=&source=catalogueoffer&jump=&pageview=one

The lift has a material cover over the lift bars so the weight would spread across both pipes and two lift bars. The pipes look pretty strong near where they join and there is a solid bracket to the frame above that point. But I am unsure if they are strong enough to support the bike's 168kg.

Otherwise, I can't see how to get the rear wheel of the ground to be removed or to work on the swingarm etc. Race bike lifts seem to work on the rear axles, so allow no wheel removal or free swingarm movement.

What do you think? ANy other suggestions?

Cheers
    Declan

2. thats a cruiser stand mate. its cheap but all wrong for your use.

just get a rear paddoc stand they are easier and if you get something good like a 1 piece from sharp racing with spools and L' pickups it will last you forever and fit any bike you will ever need unless you go SSSA

http://www.sharpracing.com.au/products/rear-stands/universal-rear-stand.php

you can get cheaper multi piece ones but its worth paying a little more for quality.

3. Check Anderson Stands in Sydney too. They make good stuff.

4.  Top
  5. Hi guys

That's not really what I want. I want to lift the bike but not from the swingarm, so that the rear wheel is supended and the swingarm is unloaded, just as a centrestand would do. Are you saying that it is not OK to lift under the pipes?

Is it possible to get a centrestand? Or some other way of lifting underneath?

Any ideas?

Cheers
    powerd

6. why do you want that? you can still remove the rear wheel, disk, sprocket,chain ect with one of those stands.

do you need to do swingarm maintenance?

you wont be able to use an under body center lift stand on that bike and if you are it most likely wont fit the next bike you are on

how about a T-stand then.

http://www.sharpracing.com.au/feature-products/index.php

really a paddock stand is all you should need

7. No, do not lift it via the exhaust system...bad things will happen.

8. at least, you could end up exhausted :roll: .....

9. Hornet - that was bad. Very bad......

Slickncghia - I want to be able to do both rear wheel and swing arm maintenace. A centrestand would be fine.

It seems a simple request from a recently unretired biker on the wrong side of 50. I got a shock when I looked under the bike to find it didn't have a centrestand - someone's stolen it, I thought!

So how do people do swingarm checks/adjustments etc?

Maybe I will just have to give up and pay someone or else make something that fits the stand lugs. I accept the advice that jacking under the pipes is a bad idea (which I suspected).

But Hornet, I am getting exhausted thinking about it!

Cheers
    powerd

10. If I am working on the rear of a bike I put the front wheel in a stand and use a jack under the motor when I have taken the fairings off. Jack it somewhere clean and flat. Usualy around the sump plug is a good place. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to use a bit of wood between the jack and sump.
    Most center stands reduce corner clearence and hense they are taken off, or never put on. They are an option on a lot of bikes now.
    Really it's only the lubing the chain that is a pain without one. Or if you do your own punture repairs on the run.

11. A dodgy but quick way of getting the rear wheel off the ground, that I used when touring europe to oil my chain and remove the rear wheel for a puncture repair in the middle of nowhere (france) is as follows.

1. Park the bike on its side stand on level ground.
    2. Use a cable tie to pull the front brake lever on hard, this stops the front wheel from rolling.
    3. Lift the bike from the muffler hanger point until the rear wheel is just clear of the ground.
    4. At the bottom of the muffler, where it joins the exhaust pipe, use a sturdy piece of timber of just the right length to prop the bike up at that height.

The danger is that you will lift the bike too high and it will topple over the side stand if you bump it the wrong way. If you have a trailer or car or post that you can tie the bike to on the lifted side you will eliminate this problem, tie it from the rear footrest or the muffler hanger to stop it falling over.

This method has worked for me many times but you must be careful.

I take no responsibility for for any damage that occurs as a result of someone using this dodgy method.

If you really need to service the swingarm, ie, pull it out and change bearings or swap it for another, you should get a front wheel holder, bolt it to the floor and strap the front wheel into it. then you can lift the back of the bike by a jack under the frame or sump, or a pair of ratchet straps fromt the rear sub frame up to a roof beam. However the chances are that you will never do this job again, and I would give it to a professional to make sure it's done right.

For everything else, a pair of these will do. http://www.kaneg.com.au/products/Combo-%252d-Front-%26-Rear-Stands-%252d-Black.html

12. Thanks guys

I think i will avoid the dodgy method, just in case. Unless I amcaught on the road one day and have to use it. Thanks for the tip.

However, those stands just might do the trick as an easy solution. Because of the pipes crossing and joining underneath, there is little access for the trolley jack anyway cup under the engine, even if i was to put say a long bolt through the stand lugs and try to get the jack on that. I think the pipes are in the way. Plus it would be very stable.

Those stands look like they may be the best option. At least i can lube the chain easily and do other maintenance.

Cheers
    powerd

• Like Like x 1