Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Licensing system for cyclists

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gunissan, May 2, 2014.

1. Highlights;

"NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay said cyclists could be licensed to make them more accountable.
    Mr Gay said helmet IDs was one method of tracking riders.

“One of the things you could look at is a licence number on the helmet. The purpose is to make people think twice before they break the rules, whether it’s going too fast on footpaths or going through red lights,” he said.

“We can hit the car drivers but we can’t hit the cyclists. So to save more lives we need a little bit of tough love.

“I reckon it would be supported by the majority of the cyclists. I think it’s a good idea. We are going to research it. If a recommendation comes back it will go to cabinet.”

Mr Gay said police were powerless to enforce the road rules on cyclists."

Full text here;

2. There should be a graduated licence scheme for cyclists as well I would say.
    • Limited to BMX bikes for the first year.
    • Progress to standard bicycle but only allowed one pedal for the first three years.
    • After three years you can purchase a full racing bike with two pedals.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
  3. You'd have to add high viz lycra ... safety is paramount here! ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Won't happen.
    How do you license a seven year old, a ten y/o ?
    How do you enforce it? In QLD u have 24hrs to show ur ID. What fool would turn up to get fined?
    Who will pay for it?
    WTF is wrong with education? It's like if cigarette tax is meant to stop people smoking. WTF is income tax?
  5. Yep, just another way of enforcing another tax.
    It's definitely not about safety, which is always the line used when trying to increase revenue.
    And as Brett said, how do you licence a child. My 4yo can't read, so how could she possibly pass a licence test.
  6. You don't licence children bc they don't (or shouldn't) ride on the road.
    You enforce it the same as everyone else...get pulled over, show your licence. Don't have a licence, big penalties.
    User pays.
    Educate too...this seems to be lacking. I have to say I don't see much advertising telling them how they should ride (a la cars and motorcycles). I've seen more directed at pedestrians than cyclists.

Won't happen tho - they're a protected species.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Um they do ride on the road, even if it's just your road. It's a road. And unless it's a motorway I'm pretty sure there's no rule to stop them if they have the right attire.
    So say if in first second third and all the way through school they actually have a class to teach them the road rules and how to ride a bike, car, bike on the road. By the time they do they will have some idea how to cope with what is costing us a fortune a year in every way.
    So we CAN afford to teach them about boogymans (religion) and death, But CANT afford to teach them about life and living.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. I dunno, I think the bigger problem is pedestrians, let's license them first....
  9. I actually disagree with this.
    You see, I'm a fat lazy slob. But sometimes I try to convince myself I'm not a fat lazy slob by going cycling.
    Well, I call it cycling, but it's more like wobbling around wondering where the throttle is on this weird contraption.
    I consider myself a hazard on the road. So I stick to the footpath, unless pedestrians are using it, then I move to the road's shoulder.
    I do that for about three blocks until I get to cycling path then I ride around to my hearts content.
    But soon I'll have to pay money to do that?
    I might as well buy a gym membership.
  10. Personally, I don't think the road is a place for young children on their bikes (certainly not without supervision). Older kids I can understand.

I remember doing bike education at school. But I'm an old fart.
  11. Or just go for a walk....
  12. True. But I can get to places faster on the bicycle and actually use it to run errands and stuff.
    And for some strange reason I like the idea of two wheels.
  13. I think Mr Gay's comments can best be seen in the light of the developing train wreck of the NSW State Government, and the need to divert attention to something else....
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. My kids 4 & 5, both ride on our quiet suburban street on the way to our local park at the end of my street with me tagging along on my bike, trying to instil some road rules into them, supervising and keeping them between me and the gutter. There are no footpaths. Where is the issue with this?

I also rode my bike to school from about the age of nine. This included quiet suburban roads, vacant house blocks/land and across one or two busier roads. Not main arterial roads, but the types of road that you would see around a school and the traffic that goes with it. There were no buses to my primary school and it was too far to walk. Again, I don't see a problem.

15. The local primary school out my way does and has been for as long as I've been here (20years) teaching kids how to ride and be safe on the roads.

They use teachers as Marshalls everyone wears a Hi Vis vest and the kids learn to use the road safely including use of signs etc
  16. Mr Gay said helmet IDs was one method of tracking riders.

“One of the things you could look at is a licence number on the helmet. The purpose is to make people think twice before they break the rules, whether it’s going too fast on footpaths or going through red lights,” he said.

What about the wider implications of this part?
  17. Bugger the license let's put collars and leashes on pedestrians
  18. NSW 2013, 42 peds, 71 motorcyclists (half were SVA's) and 14 cyclists died.
    there's arguably far more drunk pedestrians than cyclists

it's illegal to ride on footpaths in NSW anyway, unless with a young kid.
    but I'd rather get fined for riding on footpath for 200m on my way to work, than die on the clearway next to it :p
    • Like Like x 1
  19. #19 smileedude, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Has anyone ever been driving a car when a cyclist waits pedantically for a green light? It's frigging annoying. You can't overtake in the intersection and they accelerate like a whale.

There is no way I'd want cyclist to be identifiable because when they break the law they are getting out of my way as best they can as quickly as they can. The ones that pedantically follow the rules are the ones that generally get in peoples way.

It's not like cyclists hitting and running is a huge problem plauging our streets which is about the only safety benifit plating them can have.

Hornet is spot on the money. Cyclist licensing is pretty well the trump distraction card next to abolishing church tax free status and euthanasia.
  20. if they make this very simple and cheap then i don't think cyclists will mind. I cycle, ride and drive a care and i don't see a problem with it at all. At least it will put to bed this 'they don't pay rego so they shouldn't be on the road argument'. The fact is that road registrations make ups such a minuscule proportion of road maintenance expense with most of it coming from other taxes which your average cyclist is paying for anyway.

I have to say, my pet hate is massive groups of recreational cyclists on busy sydney weekday roads. I think even though the law permits you to take up the whole lane, there is a level of consideration to your fellow citizens to at least give them the space to pass you safely where it is appropriate to do so (i.e. pretty much everywhere).