Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Licensing for Scooter Riders - your opinion

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by Anthony, Aug 4, 2006.

?
  1. Standard Car License holders able to ride up to 50cc scooters with no training

100.0%
  2. Training at approx $150 with restricted licence to 125cc scooters.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Full Rider Safe training at $575 for unrestricted licence.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. South Australia related:

Road Safety Minister Zollo is looking at making Rider Safe training courses compulsory for ALL motorcycle riders, including 50cc scooters at $575.

At this stage Vic, Tas & ACT have no differentiation between 50cc or above motorcycles. NSW has a restricted license for scooters up to 125cc and the cost of training is approx $150. While SA and other states allows car license holders to ride 50cc scooters with no training. (Vic is currently debating to go with the NSW system)

It is time you have your say as to what is the most appropriate action to go for scooter riders.

Please participate in the poll and add any comments you wish in the reply.

2. Eh? :? . Think you'll find Victoria only has the one licence which is for ALL motorcycles and scooters regardless of capacity.

3. you have got the vic bit wrong. here scooters and bikes are treated exactly the same, so I can get a motorcycle licence on a 50cc scooter. go figure.

4. sorry guys, in trying to get this poll up and running I have accidentally swapped the states around. But I guess the purpose is still the same. I am asking about if SA should adopt the full licensing system or an integrated system, or the current car licensing system.

5. I agree that ridersafe training saves lives. but for you scooter riders, the reason you bought a scooter is cause it's cheap! and many aspects of the current ridersafe program (i.e gear changing etc) just doesn't apply to scooters.

I think an ammended course, say only 1 lvl of training over 2 days rather than what bike riders have to do (2days at lvl 1, 1 day at lvl 2) that is catered specifically to scooters is a good idea. but not at the current prices!

6. I reckon a modified Rider Safe course and a licence class for scooters up to 125cc would be a great idea.

If I had the choice between doing the full Rider Safe course (at almost $600) or a Scooter-class Rider Safe course (at up to $200), I'd take the latter and cope with a 125cc scoot.

It would be nice if this licence class/training became compulsory for 50cc scoot riders, too. Perhaps make it a condition next time a 50cc scoot rider renews his/her car licence with the upgrade course to take place at this time? It wouldn't be that hard to police - if you're caught riding a 50cc scoot on a car licence dated after x, you get a fine and have to do the course.

It makes me cringe that any bozo* can go and buy a 50cc scoot and ride it around without any scoot-specific training whatsoever. The combination of no training and a lack of power to get out of dangerous situations is not good, and it's a miracle that we've only had one scooter-related fatality on SA roads over the last 20 years.

* not that I'm calling my fellow Netriders who ride 50cc scoots on a car licence 'bozos' ... you guys obviously have enough nouse to seek appropriate training and advice. I'm talking about the noobs that go and buy scoots because it's 'cool' and don't bother putting the effort into learning more about how to ride their scoots properly

7. I did the motorcycle course here in vic on a scooter (as I'm old and hadn't ridden a motor bike before). spent a lot of time putting around while they taught the guys on bikes how to change gears. then I stuffed up the slow ride which is hard on a scooter but easy on the bikes (as they set the idle on the bikes to get the speed right and they just hang on but on the scooter you have to control it by revving the crap out of it and controlling speed with the brake). so a seperate scooter course would be good. could probably do a bit on counter steering.
    As a ps I'm going back to hart next week to learn how to ride a bike with gears now I know how much fun it is (and the scooter didn't come with the street directory that shows the down hill routes)

8. Is it - or is it that given the speeds and usage patterns of scooters that the danger isn't there. :roll:

9. Personally, I don't understand why you would go to all the effort of making the time and spending the money to get a motorcycle licence, and be restricted to an automatic scooter. In NSW at least, that's how it works.
    Think ahead, what if you want a motorbike in 12 months?

Regards, Andrew.

10. My vote is to not differentiate - they are both PTW's (powered two wheelers) the course content is, or should be a hell of a lot more than changing gears, perhaps there should be generic content with a split off for the bike vs scooter variation.

11. :applause:

Top speed and lack of gear changes is not enough to differentiate.
    A person that uses a 50cc scoot to commute 10km in an urban area to work, is impacted by the same safety issues and traffic environment as a person that uses a 250cc ZZR or 1000cc Firestorm.

12. Same here in the ACT, I think.

The "training" was $177 when I did it, and scooter riders had to do it as well.

13. I support introducing some degree of instruction before people can ride scooters. Here in Perth you can also ride a 50cc on a normal car license.

As another option, what about leaving it so that people with a car license can ride 50cc scoots BUT before they can take to the roads, perhaps they could go to a training centre and do a quick on road course (say 1 or 2 hrs) and if they can demonstrate proficiency then they get an endorcement on their license. This should be in the interest of safety and provided at a nominal cost.

14. Unfortunately Mouth, the actual "exam" at the end of the course is that you have to start in neutral, change into first, then 2nd, then third, brake & gear down to 2nd before turning, accelerate back up to 3rd, brake & change down to 2nd before turning, accelerate back up to 3rd, then stop between 2 cones in 1st.

and they deduct marks for bad gear changes.

Yes the rest of the content of the course is important. But scooter riders shouldn't have to do an exam involving gear changing.

15. Full test just like in Victoria IMO is the way to go.

I would be worried if anyone could just grab a scooter on the Visa and tootle off down the street without understanding what they are doing. Maybe I am a prude or tight as my kids would say but we have heard of people failing courses and generally [puts on flame suit] it's because they cant handle two wheels properly.

I dont like the idea of someone doing a test on a scooter and then being able to ride a bike, if oyu can't pass a test on a bike then you need some lesons.
    My only concession would be that you could get an automatic licence and therefore you could only drive scooters.

I wonder how the FJR would go as it has an auto clutch?

16. I actually think 'vehicle appropriate' licencing is sensible.

Cars have 'automatic' license classes, there isn't any reason why bikes couldn't have similar.

And having a course that costs $575 for a scooter rider who is looking at buying a $2000 scooter is a substantial financial disincentive to getting young financially struggling riders onto 2 wheels.

If you want to have extra training then fine, but some subsidies should be coming out of consolidated revenue, after all the savings in TAC payouts would more than cover the cost I'd expect!

17. So they easily pass the gear change component .. what's the problem?
    Or are you arguing that scoots shouldn't be allowed to be used to get your m/cycle license, and after you mastered/used a gear-change capable bike then you can choose to actually ride an auto scoot?

18. Don't want to turn this into a debate, because it's idea is to do a survey. There seems to be train of thought here where "why don't people do the full course so they can get a bike". Well, most people who bought a 50cc scooter simply ONLY wants to ride to work and back. If it's raining or too cold, they drive.

They don't ride becuase they love motorcycle, they ride because of petrol prices.

It is something that does take a bit of thinking to get around the mentality of this new breed of riders.

Cheers.

19. Huzzah! Someone who FINALLY gets it! ;)

This is why I'm such a huge advocate of rider training, no matter what the ride is.

I agree that the pricing for rider training in SA is going to prove a huge disincentive to scooterists, and I also acknowledge (and respect) that not all scooterists are going to graduate to 'real' bikes some day. Hell, I'm in no hurry to go to a 'real' bike, even though my licence tells me I can.

The best decision I ever made was to bypass the whole 50cc thing and go straight into rider training and onto a scoot just fast enough to get out of its own way. I shudder to think of how many near misses I would have had were I not properly trained and on a scoot with enough power to adequately move my generous proportions. :grin:

20. And of course that's not deliberate is it... :roll:

(read my sig)