Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW License question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by scotty81, Mar 23, 2016.

  1. Hi everyone,
    I passed my MOST today and my understanding was that I have to do 12 months on red P's (I am 35 and have a full car license )
    and then upgrade to a full license.

    However, they told me at the training centre that I miss the red P's and go straight to green.
    I checked the Rms website and I can't see this, can anyone confirm which is the next step please?
  2. G'day ScottyScotty, congratulations passing the MOST today! =D

    I currently have a NSW P1 (red P-plate) rider licence, have a full car driver licence and am also in my thirties.

    I live in an 'undeclared area' of NSW and did the kerbside version of the MOST at a local RMS office. The testing officer told me that Learner riders who pass the MOST and are over the age of 25 progress to a P1 licence and have to hold this for a minimum of 12 months. After 12 months they can then apply for a full rider licence, skipping the two-year P2 (green P-plate) licence stage.

    The advice I was given is supported by the information on the RMS website - see under the 'If you're over 25' heading from the following link:

    Rider provisional P1 licence
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nope

    Rider provisional P2 licence

    If you’re over 25
    If you’re 25 or over, you may be exempt from the P2 licence stage.

    To qualify for the exemption, you must:

    • Be 25 or older when you apply for the full rider licence
    • Hold a current Australian full driver licence
    • Have completed at least 12 months on your P1 rider licence
    • Meet any other relevant licensing requirements.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. You go on red Ps for 12 months then straight onto a full licence.:D I know cause I had to do it !!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the replies,
    Your info is exactly what I thought, red p's for 12 months and then full license.
    Thats still better than having the nasty yellow L plate on the back though!
    Thanks for your help guys :)
  6. Out of curiosity did you receive any roadcraft material to study in the lead up to your kerbside test?
  7. Thanks damedi - I'm no longer a learner burner hooray!
  8. G'day FractalzFractalz. I didn't receive any road craft study material. I received a confirmation notice in the post which had the on-the-day requirements - roadworthy motorcycle, rider gear, etc.
  9. I suppose the rider guide has most stuff in it. The Rider Risk vids are pretty good. I'm surprised Dubbo doesn't have a course provider ...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. To be honest, I didn't read a rider guide or the rider/road user's handbook that would otherwise prepare you to sit the DKT which is the only requirement here in order to get a Learner rider licence. During a lunch break from work I was walking past the local Service NSW office. On a whim, I went in and asked if I could book a DKT thinking that this would give me enough time to brush up on the contents of the road user's handbook.

    The RMS staff member asked - would I like to do the test now? I paid the fee, sat and passed the test there and then. I was also surprised that Dubbo does not have a pre-Learner course provider now. The population in Dubbo itself is over 45,000 with a catchment area of at least that and probably more.

    When I called the RMS to see if I could do a pre-Learner course elsewhere, and explained that I had already passed the DKT and had a Learner licence I was initially told that I was ineligible to attend. I pressed the point, stating that I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in a long time - never on the road - and wanted to ensure that I was at least basically competent to operate a motorcycle again. I was given what amounted to an 'exemption' in order to attend the two-day pre-Learner course at Bathurst.

    I will have to look up the Rider Risk videos, thanks for the recommendation. I've bought several other popular road craft books and DVDs - Twist of the Wrist I & II, Proficient Motorcycling, etc. and keep going back to them, progressively learning lessons as I'm ready to.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. That's excellent self education :] ... did you end up attending the Pre-learner? and,if so, what did you think of it?

    it is a problem for those living outside the declared areas but there's always the option of a trip to somewhere for advanced training sometime later.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I did attend the pre-Learner course. It was quite good for the time allocated - two four-hour afternoon sessions on a Saturday and Sunday with a single instructor and five course participants. I was by far the oldest participant - two guys in their late teens or early twenties and another two in their late twenties.

    From memory, during the first hour of each afternoon session there were quizzes and discussion about basic safety and road craft. On the first day, the rest of the time was spent on the basics of operating a motorcycle at low speed and drilling of the safety aspects such as head checks. On the second day there was revision of the first then a range of typical traffic scenarios such as stopping, indicating and moving off at intersections.

    I didn't find the course particularly challenging - which is not to say that it wasn't effective. The two participants who were in their late twenties were also able to complete everything without difficulty as they rode off-road a lot and also had car driver licences. It gave me the ability to more accurately assess that I was ready to ride a motorcycle on the road in some circumstances (namely. quiet streets and country roads to start with).

    The two younger participants did find the course challenging. They had the perfect ingredients for the 'You're gonna have a bad time' meme - a large dose of bravado, little to no riding and or driving experience and were competitive with each other. One of them up-ended himself and the Honda CB250 he was on by riding it over a gutter at about 30 km/h. Despite this they both passed which I wasn't sure was an indictment of the low bar set for passing the course or that they had otherwise met the criteria to get eligibility to sit the DKT.

    The instructor was clear in the directions he gave and the extra attention required for participants who may have been struggling with a task or concept. I think it is a valuable step in getting a rider licence - and perhaps more of the same sort of training should be required. I will definitely do some rider training, perhaps some of the Stay Upright courses and maybe one day a couple of years or more in the future, CSS Level 1.

    Have you done additional rider training and if so, what was the course(s) and could you recommend it?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for that XJ6N. I am always curious as to what people get from these courses and their observations :]

    The Stay Upright courses are tried and true, and the CSS is also very good by all reports. All of the advanced courses will give you an opportunity to practice bike handling skills and the track is an excellent place to do so in relative safety ... I prefer to concentrate on braking and cornering courses as there's no point being able to go fast if you can't stop or turn =D and for the public road those are your life-saving skills in conjunction with prediction and observation.
    • Agree Agree x 1