Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

License in WA

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by newbieWA, Oct 22, 2007.

  1. Hey all,

    I'm moving to Perth next year and hoping to get a bike license. Is it possible to get a Learners permit in Victoria and go straight for a Probationary permit (RN it called I think) in WA? I tried ringing the Licensing office in Perth and they seem to think that I need to transfer the license ($68).

    Thinking i might as well get the license in Perth. Anyway, how are the tests in Perth? How are the car drivers?

  2. I do not believe it is possible to convert anything interstate except a full license. The system is totally different over here, there is no compulsory pre-training, and a learner cannot ride unaccompanied until they take the test. They can then ride up to 250, but must re-take the test after 1 year to ride anything bigger.
  3. okay I'm confused...

    Can I do the following in WA?

    - Get a learner's permit (L Plate in Vic, RE in WA from the call I made to the DOI)
    - Ride around and "learn" in a 250cc bike on my own...
    - Go for a Probationary License (not sure what that is in WA)
    - Ride around in a 250cc bike on my own for 1 year
    - Have my license upgraded to a full license and get that 600cc (any tests for this)?

    Thanks for your response
  4. No. You get a learners permit and 'L' plates yes, but this is just an application on paper, there is no training required, and you cannot ride on your own with it. You must be on a 250 or smaller (but more than 50cc) and must be accompanied by a rider who has held an unrestricted license for at least 4 years.

    Yes, you must take the test and get a restricted license (up to 250cc), you can then ride up to 250 unaccompanied, and can carry passengers.

    When you have held a restricted license for a year you must take the test again on a bike of more than 250cc to get an unrestricted license. If you need any training for the re-test you can ride a 250+ on the road only with a rider who has held an unrestricted license for at least 4 years.

    Hope this helps.
  5. Thanks for your clarifications. Can I go for a Restricted license straight away when I arrive in WA (assuming I know how to pass the test)?

    or would I need to be on a Learner's prior to? I have a full car license, if that is of any relevance.

  6. no relevance what so ever

    unless u have an open license in vic u still have to do the 250 for a year
    i have a open licence in wa but atm i am in cairns, im not gonna swap it over coz i cant be arsed doin a test and paying for it to be swapped :p
  7. I grew up in WA and got my bike licence there.

    Another thing that wasn't mentioned is that if you already have a car licence (not Probationary though) then you don't display P plates on your bike - even though you are restricted to 250s until you sit the test for the full licence (a year later, as already stated).

    Also, no LAMS over there - you can only ride bikes that are equal to or less than 250cc. Correct me if this has changed in the last five years though)
  8. I don't think so. You will still need to go in and sit the multiple choice test for your Learner's permit. Then they will allow you to book your test for your Restricted licence.

    The test for your Restricted licence involves you going out onto the road with the tester following on another bike. He/she tells you to go this way and that way and then stop, while he rides behind you watching how you go. At some point you'll be asked to do an emergency stop from 50kmh, do a U-Turn etc. This will continue for about 20 minutes, with you being given a few directions to go on and then stop and wait for him. Eventually you will wind up back at the testing centre and - all things being well - you will get your Restricted licence.

    Good luck with the move.