Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW License from abroad

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by tuono1, Jun 20, 2014.

  1. hi everyone, I've looked around the rta website and I'm a bit confused, heres the situation: I'm from the uk, where I did my CBT (compulsory basic training) a bit more than a year ago, can someone tell me the process of doing the p plate test, like do they ask for a pre learner certificate, or if I'm from overseas would they let me take it without one? I'm 19 and it would be great if I dident have to start back from the begining seeying as it is four years of L's and P's.
    I'm posting this here as it is related to law, my apologies if its the wrong forum.

  2. Hi,
    I would take your documentation into the RMS and ask them.
    At a guess, I'd be thinking you will have to go back to the start and do 'L & P' plates, as you are only 19, I would think the restrictions will apply.
  3.  Top
  4. I went to the RTA and tried the same thing around a month ago, however my CBT had expired, so they made me do the whole lot :(

    Good luck!
  5. #5 tuono1, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    hi, you got an email mate? I cant figure out how to send pms on here. I have a few questions as your from england.
  6. AFAIK the CBT is recognised only in the UK (you cannot ride a bike in the rest of the EU with it for example).

    So it is useless in Australia. Start from zero.
  7. It depends what you mean by having done the CBT? If that meant you completed the CBT + the theory test + the practical test ... then the RMS might grant the L but may require you to do the P course and MOST but also waive the wait time.
    If you only did the CBT component then they may require you to do the Ls course.

    Ask the RMS as I am sure it's not the first time they have dealt with this.
    Good luck
  8. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just contact the closest road traffic authority in the state you are or will be residing and ask them. Websites and forums are not always the answer to everything.
  9. Not from England, but South Africa. I had completed CBT from South Africa which in essence is the "Riders knowledge test". RTA did refused to acknowledge it as valid as it had expired. They also said I would only be exempt from the Leaner's test, and not the P plates, so I just did all the tests anyways, besides they are piss easy.

    In a nut shell, don't waste your time trying to argue with RTA / RMS, or whatever they call themselves tomorrow. Just book the pre-provisional course, and do the riders knowledge test.
  10. Just converted my South African 1989 awarded full motorcycle license to full VIC license without having to do any test at all, they simply added it to my existing drivers (car) license. 2 points about this though, firstly SA is a "recognized" country for licenses according to Vicroads, who have recently added this regulation, and secondly old SA licenses were in ID books and had no expiry date :] . Lucky for me! Won't unfortunately help you in NSW but if anyone has similar issue in VIC it can be done.

    • Like Like x 1