Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Licence plate falling off

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Greggy86, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Hi guys and girls,

I picked up my first bike yesterday, a Yamaha XVS650. Absolutely love it. But, the licence plate keeps coming off, no matter what I bolt it on with, it comes off after several minutes of riding. Anybody had this problem before and know how to fix it?

2. Can you post up a pic or two of the bracket that the plate is fixed to?
  3. Do you have a nut on the back of the bolt?
    Most (I say having only seen 2 bikes close enough) have a nut and bolt big enough not to slide through the bolt hole. If you have that setup I can't see how it would be falling off unless you do not have a nut holding the bolt in.
  4. Make sure you are using locknuts on the back, all others tend to vibrate loose over time.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. Yeah, I have the nut on the bolt, but haven't tried a lock nut yet. Probably should have thought of that earlier
  7. Glad I could help.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Nylock nut, only way to go.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. cable ties :D

just kidding, nylock nut or nothing
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Use 1 of these (Nyloc) on each bolt:
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Cheers guys! A simple but frustrating problem. Makes me wonder why the dealership didn't use them in the first place
  12. Tried the plastic lock tie thingies?
    I use em to keep me P's on

Or it may be totaly useless information and be as useful as eyeliner for a duck
  13. nothing wrong with eyeliner on ducks
    its when I see it on drakes that upsets me
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Aaaaaah, but what if it was waterproof eyeliner? That'd be mighty handy for a duck and very, very useful. It'd probably still be nicked by drakes though.
  15. nah they prefer lipstick
  16. ................. only the one's called Bill.
  17. im not wasting my 5000 post replying to the likes of you
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Said with total conviction UG! Good work fella, happy anniversary.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Since you already have suitable nuts, maybe you could apply a little Loctite? Chances are it won't be the last time you need Loctite in your motorcycling career.
  20. Some insider knowledge there I think
    • Funny Funny x 1