Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Licence.. how long will it last?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Climbatize, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Well I bought my ride in September and after I rode it home from Ballarat I did contemplate, how long could I keep my licence. Well, for me, it was 3 months. The idea of riding around on a race based bike is an entertaining idea but, unfortunately I lacked the throttle control to keep it at the speed limit.

The cops were reasonable yesterday. I got done at 48 over the limit and was able to ride home. Anything over 45 gets impounded.. at Preston. Long way from the SE burbs. Despite the searing heat, grog testing, drug testing, I managed to keep my cool.. and it really does pay off in regards to how cops treat you. Six months will be tough without a licence being a truck driver but I guess it's just a kink in the road. My missus wants me to sell the bike but I have convinced her the car is bigger and more expensive.

Take it easy on the roads out there guys, because there are thousands of cops ready to catch you and also lecture you.

End rant.
  2. yeh, the catching is the easy part. the lecture is deadly. watch out.
  3. Good work fella!

In 2006 , when I first moved to Melbourne from England I bought a car. Company underwrote the lease and I absolutely had to have a V8.

Picked up a VE SS Commodore (yeah yeah , blissfully unaware of the connotations of driving such a vehicle) with 26km's on the clock on a friday and decided to go to Sydney for the weekend.
    Lost my attention span for a period of a few seconds on the Hume, looked in the mirror and saw a cop behind me with the blues and twos going , glanced at the dash and saw 150kph displayed.
    One month ban! Didnt take me nearly as long to get used to the cars performance as it did to get used to the oppressed roadways of Victoria.
  4. One of my closest riding mates lost his license for two and a half times your stint. He's decided when he returns it won't be to a sports bike. We've been discussing cruisey big tourers or dual-purpose bikes.

You're right on with the warning - as expected, cops are everywhere at the moment (I rode the length of the State today, and I mean they're everywhere!). Put a foot wrong at the moment and you'll get caught.
  5. lucky you guys dont have double demerits. but then you dont really need them...
  6. I had a mate like you. He's now dead.

There are certain people who shouldn't own bikes. My mate was one and I think you are too unless you drastically change the way you ride.

A lot worse things can happen when you can't control the right hand than losing your licence.
  7. Merry Christmas to you too!!
    So by my understanding from reading your response, you have never had a rush of blood/white line fever and opened the throttle till the kittens died and baby Jesus cried?
  8. Time and place, as ever.
  9. Woodsy, who are you to say who should own a sports bike and who shouldn't?

As the cop said to me, having a sports bike is like putting a bag of lollies in front of a kid. It is hard to resist at times. Lollies are obviously not as dangerous as a sports bike, but you get the basic principle. Maybe if they were poison lollies it would a closer comparison.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.
  10. wtf? ](*,) go lay your unfounded, uninformed guiltrip elsewhere.
  11. Rules to keeping one's license on a sports bike while still having immense fun in Victoria:

#1 - Never speed in the city, or towns. If any road in town looks good, wide, and safe for a bit of a squirt, the cops are well aware of that too, and that's exactly where they'll be sitting, waiting to protect you from yourself and the children who were nowhere near you at the time.

#2 - DO go on regular out of town rides to get your fix of action, so you're not starved for action when in town, and where the cops and cameras are at their most dense.

#3 - Never speed on highways, and if doubt on what's a highway in unfamiliar territory, they're typically the roads that have painted white lines on the edges. Highways carry probably 90% of all traffic, are wider and safer and more likely to entice someone to have a squirt, and so that's exactly where the cops sit to maximise revenue intake.

#4 - Avoid the Kinglake & Healesville surrounds on weekends (Black Spur, Myer Creek, Chum Creek, etc). Unmarkeds and camos abound. Less camos nowadays with the burnt out bush, but by next season it'll probably have regrown enough so that they can hide again more effectively.

#5 - Ride tighter roads where exceeding 100kph is rarely an option. When on said roads though, if there's a straight that's longer than 100m that looks inviting, DON'T OPEN IT UP! No one has ever crashed or died on said straight, and everyone who has crashed and died, has done so on all the winding stuff before, but that one single straight is where the cops will sit, waiting to protect you from nothing.

#6 - If you MUST have a high speed fix, book a track day.
  12. +1 to all those points.

If it looks to good to be true, it is. Think like a copper who wants to make sure his day is productive and catching people on long wide straight stretches is like taking candy from a baby.
  13. FLUX, I own a Kawasaki ZX7R.. the tight stuff is a bit much for me. It likes sweepers.. big ones. I guess we are lucky in Australia to be able to head out to the country side and leave it in our wake essentially. Bah! if you get real out there.. there's nothing. The spurs are obviously great roads but with alot of traffic. They are way too tight for my liking anyhow.

Like most people, who have any respect, I keep it to a minimum through towns. I did however, curse my self so heavy for even entertaining the idea to open it up on the Frankston Freeway. The officer in question actually said he was quite disappointed with me because I did not see them immediately. I guess the smart arse thing NOT to say that was when you are moving faster than the flow of traffic you look AHEAD of you.

Anyway, I don't need a licence to do track days :)
  14. Definitely this one, yeah. There're a few roads I've found (in the middle of freakin' nowhere, sadly) where it's definitely a Speed Challenge rather than a Speed Limit... Where one can legally interpret the safe speed for the road rather than being hamstrung by a much-slower-than-necessary limit. Good times.
  15. You opened it up on the Frankston Freeway?!? I travel that road often and I'd say that there's cops on it (marked and unmarked) probably half the time. No wonder you got picked up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Frankston Freeway was the single most "profitable" road in all of Victoria, per km, when it comes to road patrol activity.

I've ridden a ZX7R before, they can handle roads like the spurs just fine. Just gotta develop a bit of upper body strength and get physical with them. Am not that fond of sweeper blasting myself. The speeds are so high that if anything goes wrong, your ticket's up with a fairly high degree of certainty.

Hindsight is 20:20 though. Might I suggest trying to learn to enjoy winding roads out of town though?
  16. Maybe my reply was a little bit harsh but who goes around saying "how long will my licence last"?

The question should be what can I do to keep my licence?

I agree with all of FLUX's comments and practice many of them. For the record I speed everytime I get on my bike but have had a clean slate for over 10 years.
  17. You sir are a god damn hypocrite.

So you should own a sports bike because you have not been caught, yet. Well that's logical.
  18. Bikes like those can do the Spurs easily, you just need to learn how to ride it :wink: Practice makes perfect! It's not that the bike likes sweepers, it's that you prefer to ride your bike on those 'cos less effort is involved. I can promise you, once you begin to master riding the challenging roads there is a LOT more satisfaction in riding!

(P.S. Does help that I lived on the other side of the Black Spur, but it took me that long to get it!)
  19. Amen to the track day point.

After doing a few of them myself, I have a newfound respect for the roads and even more aware of the dangers/cops.

Owning a V4 also helps as you are more aware of the engine and can pretty much gauge what speed you are doing without looking down all the time.

i have owned numerous sports bikes and cannot see muself returning to one (for the moment!)

While the VFR was in the shop, I had a loan bike R1, and holy Mother of God! That thing was a rocket. I was asking myself the same question as the OP. How long would I keep my Licence for on this thing?

Hope the 6 months goes quickly mate.

20. track days are all good and well. but theyre expensive and most people need a bit of a squirt more often than the trackday fund / callander will allow