Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Licence and Bike Choice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by skyphyr, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I got my licence :D Though after that it turns out I'll be moving to the states.

While this means the size restrictions are gone I'll probably still go for something smaller until I've got some experience behind me.

So looking about I found I can get a V-Star 250 or a Rebel CMX250C for exactly the same price new. If I track down a good 2nd hand V-Star 650 I'll probably go for that, but if not which would you suggest out of those two? (Or even a Vulcan 500?? or is that too much to learn on?)

2. Congrats!! Which state will you be moving to? I've see XVS650s at dealerships in FL for $6K with the touring pack. Although being in the US, you may want to <flame suit> look at HD! </flame suit>. Check out c r a i g s l i s t, etc. for used deals.
  3. I wouldn't bother with anything below 400cc. Might as well get a 600cc as there is more to choose from. Takes most people a few weeks/months to be competent enough with a 250cc.
  4. Week*

Didn't take me any longer than a week... Now I just push mine to it's absolute limit...
  5. Perhaps you could join a US forum and ask questions I've seen like "is the daytona 675 a good learners bike?" or "is the gixxer thou a good learners bike?"
    Then get a daytona.
  6. Hi All,

The choice does seem to differ a fair bit there :) I'll be moving to California.

A lot of cheap bikes to be had.